apicetomy

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

First off, I am NOT considering this, but I found it interesting that it has been done. It sounds too painful to me, and not worth it (it kills the teeth, and then they would just wear down eventually). I was just surfing the web, as one of my chins is having tooth problems. Here is a link to a forum discussion about it....

http://www.chinchillas-unlimited.info/forums/index.php?showtopic=47813

post #9 talks about it in detail.

Any one ever heard of this? What do you think?

A chinnie root canal. Interesting.

I'm not sure how I feel about it. There's a lot of quality of life things that a person would have to look at. Clearly it has been done, the moderator doesn't say how her chin turned out or if it resumed the quality of life it had before.

I think it's cruel and unusual punishment. Basically it's like getting a root canal on all of your molars. It will "add a few years" or until the teeth wear down, then what do you do? In that time you risk infection or other complications. In my opinion I would not put any of my animals through that for MY own gratification. Basically you're risking their life and complications from a major experimental surgery because we can't accept it's time to let go because they are in pain. Maybe I'm different because I don't believe that death is an end, only a new beginning, but that's my thoughts on this.

I was offered it, the cost even for me was too much and the survival rate was not great. It was around 350.00 per tooth and the survival rate was 30%.

I have contacted Debbie about this thread in the hopes that she will comment on it (when she gets a moment) because the chin is question belonged to her.

I was offered it, the cost even for me was too much and the survival rate was not great. It was around 350.00 per tooth and the survival rate was 30%.

Oh wow. That IS a steep price. How many teeth were they going to do?

I can not think of a situation in which I would allow that. I would like to know the situation regarding the chin who received it though.

The chin in question had 6 lower teeth left after I had already done selective teeth removal. This was when I actually thought I could have malo cured if I spent enough money and tried different experimental techniques.

Back