Anyone have a Chin pass not long after their cage buddy?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kara315

Just a random question I was thinking about. I was thinking about how hard it will be when on of my chins passes, hopefully not for years of course. But it got me thinking about how hard to will be to see the other, alone in their cage. I've heard stories of dogs passing after their animal pal passed and even when one of the owners passed, and i'm sure it happens with any animal. But has anyone seen this in chins, one passes and their cage mate passed not long after? I love having animals in pairs, but it's so hard to see the other one without the one who passed.

I lost my chin Ruby two years ago due to a respiratory issue, a few weeks after her cage mate Diamond started dropping a lot of weight, I thought it was just because she was sad and missed Rudy. However, a trip to the vet showed her to be malo and she died this past January a few days to the anniversary of Ruby's death. More than likely a coincidence, but I still think it odd. But you're right, it is very hard to see the one without the other when they are such good buddies.

I lost my chin Ruby two years ago due to a respiratory issue, a few weeks after her cage mate Diamond started dropping a lot of weight, I thought it was just because she was sad and missed Rudy. However, a trip to the vet showed her to be malo and she died this past January a few days to the anniversary of Ruby's death. More than likely a coincidence, but I still think it odd. But you're right, it is very hard to see the one without the other when they are such good buddies.

My dog Jewel who passed in 2008 was best buddies with our one cat Shadow and after Jewel passed, Shadow acted differently, luckily he's still with us, but it was hard to see. I'm not looking foward to one of the chins though, since they are in such a confined space and have pretty much only eachother, unlike the dogs/cats who are all together around the house.

I only have the one chin, but I did have 2 gerbils. The first one passed away a few months ago and his brother died the other day. Was it age or missing his companion that killed my 2nd one? Don't know, but definitely a short time span between the two deaths.

I had two retired females together. I never expected them to get along, because the one was a major witch, but they cuddled like nobody's business. We had to euthanize the witch because of right-sided heart failure, but the other one is doing just fine a year later and I expect her to be around a long time! She's still the complete sweetheart she's always been!

I only have the one chin, but I did have 2 gerbils. The first one passed away a few months ago and his brother died the other day. Was it age or missing his companion that killed my 2nd one? Don't know, but definitely a short time span between the two deaths.

That's familiar to what happened to my hermit crabs. Never expected to get one, but we actually found the smaller one in our backyard, i'm assuming someone let him loose, can't see how he'd get out, but you never know. But I took him in and got him a buddy from the store. They always stayed right by eachother. The one passed and it broke my heart to see the other one alone in their "house", the other one passed not long after. It's amazing how strong animals can bond with eachother. But so hard not being able to tell them what happened to their buddy.

We had to put Evie down last August. Her cagemate Tami went through a depression stage right afterwards, and she lost a bit of weight. I spent extra time with her, and let her see the other girls in their cages more, and she eventually perked up and gained back some of the weight. She is doing WAY better now, thankfully.

We had to put Evie down last August. Her cagemate Tami went through a depression stage right afterwards, and she lost a bit of weight. I spent extra time with her, and let her see the other girls in their cages more, and she eventually perked up and gained back some of the weight. She is doing WAY better now, thankfully.

That's what I'm thinking I'll do once one passes, spend extra time with him. I'm glad she's doing better, I'm hoping that's what will happen once it happens to me. I feel like it will be bittersweet as well once the other passes knowing they are together again, I'm not looking foward to seeing the other one all alone.

Back