Another Squishy Poo thread

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Siylvat

As you might remember we tried introducing Bok and Dash a few weeks ago. Bok started to get nervous and got squishy poo, so we separated them in favor of introducing them a little bit slower. His poo cleared up, and then Dash's started to get soft.

Now, they both have soft poo. They are in different cages. They get playtime together, and get along great. It is not runny, or anything like that. It holds its shape, but it is not quite normal. You can squish it easily, and Dash steps on it and squishes it to his shelves.

Now, none of our other chins have poo like this. We were thinking our water filter might not be working properly, but if that were the case, wouldn't our other chins have problems too?

I have been giving fewer pellets and more hay. Acidophilous, and the occasional bite sized plain shredded wheat.They have not even gotten rose hips lately.

any ideas?

I am still having random bouts of squishy poo. It will be one chin, then it will clear up, and then another chin will have it for a few days.After being fine for weeks Dash has squishy poo again. But not all my chins get it. A few of them have had no problems what so ever. (and they are in the same cage as a chin that has had squishy poo)

I think we are going to go buy another water filter and see if that is the issue after all. Anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
Have you taken stool into the vet to be tested? Just to be sure you're not dealing with giardia or some parasitic issue?

No because every time I think about bringing it, it clears up again. Would some chins be more sensative to parasites? Not all of my chins have been afected, and the ones that have had soft poo seem to clear up within 3 days or so. And if they were sensative would they get better for a few weeks and then have a problem again? (only one chin has had soft poo 2x the others only once, and all at different times.)

Another reason I have been hesitant is my vet will not let me bring in a stool sample without bringing in the chin, and I don't really want to stress them out by dragging them all over the place. If I have to I will though.

If this is a long-term issue, and it sounds like it is, I would want an answer. If that means a vet visit, then that's what I would do. Get the stool sample tested and at least be sure that it isn't "something" that needs treated.

Yes, it's been my experience that some can be more sensitive. For instance, I know of people who have 3 chins in a cage, and only one will have positive tests for Giardia.

I'm just not sure if these are separtate instances or connected. It has been over the span of about a month. I'm probably worrying for nothing...but then again, you don't know until you know.

I think I will try a new filter and see if it clears it up. I'll probably call the vet tomorrow and see if there is any way they will let me bring in a stool sample without a chin. Maybe if I explain why I don't want to bring my chin they will let me.

If they find something, I shoud treat everyone right?

Going into the vet isn't that bad for a chin. I have to drive an hour to get to my vet, that can be stressful for a sick animal. You're probably closer than I am.

I'd be giving them acidophilus every day sprinkled on the pellets. Sometimes it is just an overgrowth of "bad" bacteria that can make the droppings smooshy from time to time. I start rescues on acidophilus immediately and continue to give it to them for about a week. If there is any occurrence of soft droppings at all, I keep them on it for a month or so.

But, if it's a parasite, nothing you do will get rid of it. You can treat it with the home remedies and it will help, but it won't get rid of it and you will have to worry about the chin for the rest of its life. It's better to find out about the diarrhea. If you don't go to the vet and they don't have your animal on record, they may not be able to give you medication should the fecal tests find anything. Many states have laws regarding giving prescription meds. My vet needs me to have been to him with the animal within a year or he can't give me medications for it.

Yeah, I have been giving them all a little acidophilus lately. They like it.

It isn't Diarrhea at all. The poo is formed when it comes out, it is not shiney, has no mucus on it, just dark and soft. ie it squishes if stepped on or...squished.

The only one with the soft poo right now is Dash. Everyone else has normal poo.

If it's squishy, it's diarrhea. It doesn't have to be runny. With chins it is not normal to have soft droppings at all. Slightly smooshy droppings mean that you need to watch the chin.

I have a tile in each cage of chins here, that's about 130 cages. I used the tiles to watch the droppings...if anyone has smooshy droppings it will squish on the tile. Out of the tiles in all 130 cages not one had a smooshy dropping on it at all tonight. Not even in cages with new mothers or pregnant mothers.

When the diarrhea or smooshy droppings keeps happening for months and doesn't go away completely in about a week there can be serious problems with a chinchilla. It's always better to be safe rather than sorry later when it comes to the possibility of parasites.

The vet should be fine with you just bringing in a poo sample to check. Any vet can do it, just call around your local clinics and see who will. I had to take some poo samples in awhile ago and they checked it for me, free of charge.

I'm going to call around today and see who I can bring a sample in to. Better safe than sorry.

Again though. If they find something, I should treat all my chins right?

I would treat them all, especially if they all share the same play area.

I'm going to call around today and see who I can bring a sample in to. Better safe than sorry.

Again though. If they find something, I should treat all my chins right?

Back