Amputation?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

macleod376

My daughter went to play with one of our triplets tonight and his middle toe is all mangled and bloody, he was fine last night. His leg is also all red and swollen up to his hip. We called the vet and rushed him in, they are keeping him overnight with a cone so he will stop chewing on his leg, and giving him antibiotics. The "exotic animal" vet will be in tomorrow to look at him. The vet tonight said it didn't look good and I should be prepared for an amputation. The poor baby just turned 2 months on the 31st. Anybody have any experience with something like this? If they have to amputate his foot or toes or his whole leg, how resiliant are they?

There are many amputee chins that run in wheels, jump on shelves, etc. just as much as others with all their legs. They adapt very well and you usually can't even tell they're missing a leg.

Good luck with your baby, hope he recovers quickly.

Thank you Stackie. Our fingers are crossed.

My daughter told me I probably should have put that it is his back leg.

No advice to add, but I just wanted to say that I hope all goes well for your wee boy, and that he recovers quickly from his op.
Best wishes from me and Rosey xxxxx

I have a tripod, he is 10 months old and had to have his leg amputated a few months ago because he chewed the velcro off a ladder cover and got his leg caught in the ladder and broke his leg. I was very worried he would not adjust with having 3 legs but you can't even tell he only has 3 legs. He runs around his cage just like mine that have 4 legs do. Finley recovered very quickly too. Hope everything goes ok.

Thank you everyone. Feeling much better now. Still crossing my fingers that all goes well, but at least I know that missing his back leg will just be an adjustment that he will be able to adapt to!

As others have said, tripods usually do fine. It will take him some getting used to but he should live a long life if otherwise healthy. :)

I've just heard success stories from other breeders and pet owners. They do just fine with 3 legs!

I have a chin, Little Two Paws Shakur, who was born with only 2 legs -- both on the right side!!! He as a little nubbin on the back left and nothing on the left front.

When my rancher buddy offered him to me, I asked how he got around. After thinking for a moment, he said, "Well, I reckon pretty good." He does, in fact, get around more than pretty good -- he can race around his one level cage just as fast as the ones with 4 legs!!!

As I always say when I am asked how a chin with an amputation will do, "Animals are far more accepting of their "disabilities" than we humans are. He will have 3 legs, and he will use what he's got without a second thought."

Back