Alergic rhinitus - owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoundNoFtWaL

Maybe this should go under chat, but I thought I'd put it here because I only recently connected symptoms to feeding time.

I know alergies have been talked about before when new people come on asking about chins. I went to the dr last Friday after having put up with what I thought might have been an ear infection for over a month. The Doc said I have hay fever and just putting up with it has lead to early sinitus which is causing the pain in my ears. I'm now on Nasonex and a Zicam genaric, holding off on an antibiotic just incase I start to present signs of bacterial sinus infection. I guess I'm only recently alergic to hay. I've never had a problem with it before. I've had my chin for almost 2 years now. Just this last month though when I go to refill his hay I'd get watery eyes that would start getting puffy, I'd start sneezing, and have to blow my nose.

Are any of you experiencing a new alergy to hay? Also on Zicam? What have you found that works and doesn't empty your pocket book. I noticed in someones FN picture those litte paper dust masks. Do you use masks to clean and feed? I'm thinkin about diggin out my bandanas. Wounder what Stitch will think of me with those things on.

i am allergice to one of the grasses............thankfully not timothy hay!
but i know some members use gloves or masks. some have switched to cubes. some have had others handle the hay. and some just deal with it.
i guess whatever works for you.
i like the bandanna idea, its functional & fashionable! lol

During the spring and summer months, I have to use a mask when doing the hay or changing the bedding, and it helps with the sneezing and watery eyes. Just make sure to wash your hands after cleaning and feeding, because if you rub your eyes or touch your face then you'll find your self back at square one with the sneezing and itchy watery eyes.
I started out with the disposable masks but eventually went to Lowe's and bought a mask with a filter on it that is more permanent.

I know this is an old thread but I have recently started using a netti pot in the evening after cleaning cages. It is a nasal rinse and it is very relieving! I reccomend it highly

I've heard a lot of people say good things about netti pots. But as mentioned above it may be the hay, either that bag, or that kind. If you'd not had problems before, I'd change hay and go from there!

my hubby is allergic to loose timothy hay, it didn't pop up until about 4 months into owning chins. he has to wash his hands immediately after handling loose hay & take benadryl if he touches his face on accident. most of the time he just puts on gloves - or i do it. however, he's not allergic to timothy in other forms - cubes, mats, baskets, etc. we haven't tried masks yet, i may pick some up. good luck allergy sufferers!!

Back