Aggressive Chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cuddskers

Hello,
I have two chinchillas, one female and one male. I let them run around in my room every once in a while but they are not caged together. I of course watch them while they run, making sure that nothing funky happens, but whenever my female goes over to the male, she bites his face and he squeaks. Is this bad? Do I need to separate them? I don't understand why she goes at him so fast. Thank you!!!

Yes, biting is bad. I would keep them separated indefinitely. Beyond that, it takes seconds for a male chinchilla to impregnate a female. I simply wouldn't take that risk with my furkids. Best of luck to you!

Your female doesn't like the male. Be glad that all she does is bite his nose. It can turn bloody quick. It only takes seconds for them to breed and even less time to start all out fighting. I wouldn't risk it. Keep them apart.

Well, I do know that they can breed very quickly but they have a designated place in my room, like a playpen that i sit in with them. I have heard that they can become best friends or learn to agree but is that not true?

Well, I do know that they can breed very quickly but they have a designated place in my room, like a playpen that i sit in with them.

My husband's response was "I hope you have very fast reflexes".

If you keep pulling apart and putting together animals that don't really get along the situation actually escalates instead of improving. They do not solve who is dominant so the dominant one tries harder the next time. Eventually a major fight breaks out. Most animals need to either be fully introduced so they settle things or kept completely separate. The together and apart again scenario only works with highly social, intelligent animals with an impressive memory. Mainly humans and apes. A few other species with a lot of special criteria met.

Back