Advice with newborn kits

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently started using gallon sized glass jars as hidey houses...I am pretty sure you can get a big glass jar at WalMart.

I used large glass jars as well! Mine are all the large pickle jars washed out of course and I set a small brick to hold it in place.

I recently started using gallon sized glass jars as hidey houses...I am pretty sure you can get a big glass jar at WalMart.

So are these hidey houses just for the babies or for everyone together? This would be better because then I feel like she'd be less likely to sit on top and away from them

All of them can use it. Being that it is low and shaped round it is safe and all of them can run in and out of it. The babies can easily be in "hot pursuit" of mom if she tries to hide from them and they wanna eat.

All of them can use it. Being that it is low and shaped round it is safe and all of them can run in and out of it. The babies can easily be in "hot pursuit" of mom if she tries to hide from them and they wanna eat.

Where did you buy yours from?

Ralph & Barbara Shoots but that isn't feasible for you since you live in VT and they live in OH. The Wal Mart ones should be fine and easy enough to get a hold of....or like Dreamlite said...if you like pickles...LOL

Here's a picture of one of them being weighed for the first time. He wasn't overly thrilled but look at that adorable face!

47417_4643465568201_336013089_n.jpg

Last edited:
My husband weighed them and they both weigh 56 grams. I bought the glass jar at Walmart along with goats milk, rice cereal and ice cube trays in case we need to start supplementing. Do I need to dilute the goats milk if it's fresh?

No do not water it down. Try not to be too hasty when stepping in. General rule of thumb is less involved you are the better. Only start supplementing if absolutely necessary.

No do not water it down. Try not to be too hasty when stepping in. General rule of thumb is less involved you are the better. Only start supplementing if absolutely necessary.

They seem to be doing really good right now. I watched mommy nurse them several times while I was downstairs with them. I replaced the house with the glass jar... she freaked out at first but then calmed down and allowed them to nurse for several minutes. I just went downstairs to quickly check on them and took this adorable picture of the kits cuddling in the jar while mommy munched on some hay.

chinchilla_babies_cuddling.jpg

Awww, how sweet! If you think mom would like it and she'll leave it alone you can through a big piece of fleece over the top of the cage to give her a "roof and walls" since she prob feels a bit exposed with her hidey house gone. Don't cover it 100% leave at least the front and 1 side open. I'm so glad all is going so well!

My husband weighed them this morning and one was 57 (gained a gram) and one was 54 (lost two grams). I'm nervous about stepping in and starting to supplement because I don't want it to take away from them nursing mommy and her drying out. We continually see them nursing and I haven't observed the kits fighting to nurse. Advice please!

If birth weight was 56 and 52 and they now weigh 57 and 54 at 2 days old the weights are good. Weight will fluctuate over the course of a day so try to weigh at the same time each day.

The kits should start gaining more each day from now on. I would not supplement these kits. The kits are not fighting (which often indicates hunger) and mom is allowing them to suckle. Be sure mom has plenty of fresh water to drink and hay. Kits will eat hay when they are very young.

I weigh kits the same time each day. People can varry weight as much as 3 lbs in a day, so hcins will do the same in a smaller amount. Pick 1 time of day and stick to that or you will drive your self nuts worrying. They are up and they are only day 2, so that's good.

If birth weight was 56 and 52 and they now weigh 57 and 54 at 2 days old the weights are good. Weight will fluctuate over the course of a day so try to weigh at the same time each day.

The kits should start gaining more each day from now on. I would not supplement these kits. The kits are not fighting (which often indicates hunger) and mom is allowing them to suckle. Be sure mom has plenty of fresh water to drink and hay. Kits will eat hay when they are very young.

When should I step in? They were born Saturday morning/afternoon so it's been almost 3 days, is that ok? Should I try adding the half cranberry/apple and water for the mother? My anxiety is through the roof about this little babies! GAH!

I weigh kits the same time each day. People can varry weight as much as 3 lbs in a day, so hcins will do the same in a smaller amount. Pick 1 time of day and stick to that or you will drive your self nuts worrying. They are up and they are only day 2, so that's good.

Very good point. I've been weighing them in the morning and then weighing them at night. It seems like they are weighing more at night so I will stick with weighing at a specific time at night. I am literally driving myself nuts!

Weights are still good for 3 days. They have gained since birth. If the kits weighed less than birth weight and hadn't gained any back then you might be concerned. Mom is producing enough to maintain birth weight plus gain a couple of grams. If mom wasn't producing at all the kits would be losing 2 to 4 grams a day and might weigh 50 and 46 grams or a lot less today.

You could try giving mom water/apple juice or cranberry juice (unsweetened apple or cranberry) as well as a separate bottle of plain water. If she is a first time mom it might help. If she shows interest in it let her have the juice combo for a couple of days.

Back