Adopting!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kissthewires

Hi everyone -

I'm in the process of getting my first chinchilla(s) and have a couple of questions about the possibility of adopting a pair of brothers from an owner who has to give them up due to work commitments.

The two guys are approx 18 months old, and I guess my main concern is if it would be very traumatic for them to be rehomed and that stage in their lives, and would they be able to adapt to a new living situation comfortably?

The current owner tells me that they are lively and very comfortable around people, and from what I can gather they have been treated very well (I haven't met them yet, but from the photos I can see that they have a big, well-equipped cage and top notch accessories etc.)

Are there any potential pitfalls that I might not be considering in going ahead with adopting in this way rather than buying directly from a pet store or breeder?

I'd really appreciate any advice or suggestions.

Thanks so much

Barry

Hi Barry!!! I myself have just adopted a little girl, which she just came home on sunday. She was in the exact situation as your little guys. Current owner could no longer care for her she was in a huge cage. She is a very sweet girl even tho, it still a working progress in bonding with her but we are making steps. I would suggest if they are use to a big cage to invest in a ferret or critter nation cage. My little girl seems to love it! She always running around in it! Congrats on adopting if you go forward with it!!

Justene

Chins adjust very well to travel and new homes, especially if they will be in the same cage. As always give them time to settle in before rushing to handle/play time with them. Adopting rather than from a breeder is a personal choice. There are pros and cons for both. I usually tell people when adopting to ask where they got the chins from, if the got pedigrees with them, what food they are feeding and if they have had any issues. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Chins are a 20 yr commitment. If they aren't willing to answer I would skip. Sounds like you are on the right track to adding chins to your family. Good luck!

my first two chins i had taken in from other owners as well. It took a little while for them to adjust, but they did just fine.
The risks are mostly the same either way (that i can think of) because either way, your getting form someone else. Past treatment, housing, medical issues, life style. They all can come into play but that goes for any chin, from anywhere.

Personally, i always prefer to rescue a pet rather then buy one from a breeder or a store.

Back