Adding fleece to sides of cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArmyWife

I'm looking for some advice on how to add fleece to the sides of my ferret nation cage to make a "poop barrier". I just want to add something to help decrease the amount of poop that ends up on the floor everyday, even though I know my little ones love throwing it lol. A lot of it seems to come from the back and sides of the cage. Any advice and pictures would be really helpful!

I also have a problem with one of my critters peeing at the edge of the cage which results in pee on the floor. Not sure if the fleece liners would be helpful with that or if I just need to spend the money to get the pans with the higher sides.

You shouldn't cover too many sides of your cage. They need the airflow. But I do cover the back of my cage and I used metal binder clips to hold the fabric in place. It doesn't really hold anything in, but it looks cute.

A friend of mine on another forum does that, pretty effectively too. She only wraps half of the sides (for airflow) but it keeps most of the poop in.

Here's her post about it, with instructions and pictures:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What you will need:
A peice of Fleece aprox 65" X 60"
A scissor
Binder Rings
Gromet kit (optional)

The measurements can be adjusted depending on your needs. I have about 1/3 of one side covered and 2/3 on the otherside (more poopies were being flung on one side).

I had to sew mine because I had bought reminents. Also I sewed around the edges to prevent tearing but that shouldn't be a problem.

Pre-wash your fleece to shrink it ahead of time so it isn't ill-fitting after you put the work into it.

Here is what it will look like when it is done (I used gromets as you can see)

The slits on the bottom is where it wraps around the bottom legs:

IMG_2851.jpg

The width I used was 65" . Position where you want your wrap. Then add 3 binder rings to hold it in place (grommets are optional).

When you hang it the corners will fold nicely and lay flat:

IMG_2852.jpg

Now go to the bottom and cut rectangular silts where the legs of the cage are. FYI - on the FN, the distance between the two slits will be 36 inches.

The bottom can be arranged as you like. I used 3 rings on the middle peice (the 36" one) to flip the bottom up for a poopie catcher.

Next take two rings and flip the side peices up:

IMG_2857.jpg

Currently I'm using peices of masking tape to fold the last bit up. You can also use cloths pins or other clips if you prefer (I will switch to that eventually)

IMG_2859.jpg

When you take it off to clean, leave the binder rings on the cage. Then when you go to put it back up everything will line up right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually just about to do this for a bird cage, so I had JUST looked up the instructions for myself.

A friend of mine on another forum does that, pretty effectively too. She only wraps half of the sides (for airflow) but it keeps most of the poop in.

Here's her post about it, with instructions and pictures:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

What you will need:
A peice of Fleece aprox 65" X 60"
A scissor
Binder Rings
Gromet kit (optional)

The measurements can be adjusted depending on your needs. I have about 1/3 of one side covered and 2/3 on the otherside (more poopies were being flung on one side).

I had to sew mine because I had bought reminents. Also I sewed around the edges to prevent tearing but that shouldn't be a problem.

Pre-wash your fleece to shrink it ahead of time so it isn't ill-fitting after you put the work into it.

Here is what it will look like when it is done (I used gromets as you can see)

The slits on the bottom is where it wraps around the bottom legs:

IMG_2851.jpg

The width I used was 65" . Position where you want your wrap. Then add 3 binder rings to hold it in place (grommets are optional).

When you hang it the corners will fold nicely and lay flat:

IMG_2852.jpg

Now go to the bottom and cut rectangular silts where the legs of the cage are. FYI - on the FN, the distance between the two slits will be 36 inches.

The bottom can be arranged as you like. I used 3 rings on the middle peice (the 36" one) to flip the bottom up for a poopie catcher.

Next take two rings and flip the side peices up:

IMG_2857.jpg

Currently I'm using peices of masking tape to fold the last bit up. You can also use cloths pins or other clips if you prefer (I will switch to that eventually)

IMG_2859.jpg

When you take it off to clean, leave the binder rings on the cage. Then when you go to put it back up everything will line up right.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm actually just about to do this for a bird cage, so I had JUST looked up the instructions for myself.

WOW that's impressive! This could help advance my housewife skills and make me learn to sew better lol

Do you know what kind of cage and size your friend has?

You shouldn't cover too many sides of your cage. They need the airflow. But I do cover the back of my cage and I used metal binder clips to hold the fabric in place. It doesn't really hold anything in, but it looks cute.

What if I just wrapped fabric around the bottom of the cage instead of covering the whole back side?

I covered 2 sides and the top of my ferret nation cage. It helps keep some of the poo in but not much but it also helps so the room isn't covered in hair every 5 minutes. I bought some grey fleece and measured the height of the sides and the length of the top and laid it across the cage. I had to sew 2 pieces of fleece together. I then put grommets on the corners where the fleece ends at the bottom of the cage then used binder clips and clipped the fleece to the legs of the cage. I keep a fan near the cage though to help with air flow. But the chins like having the cage covered.

If you need a picture let me know : )

hey i made 6 inch baby bumpers with ties around my cage and it works keeping the poop in i wish i could figure out hoe to post a pic to show you

Back