A mouse got into my chin food and supplies...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lishreese

So I just discovered that a mouse got into Bella's stuff and chewed a hole in her food bag. The rest of the hay and treats and everything look undamaged. I'm guessing I probably have to throw away the food now. I don't know about the rest of the stuff cuz even tho I didn't find any holes there was still some mouse poop on the outsides of the bags. I don't know what to do tho cuz I am at my parents house in rural Ohio for Christmas break so I don't know where I can get new stuff for her. I feed her Shoots pellets and the pet stores around here aren't going to have anything that I can give her instead. The spacing of her cage bars is 1" by 1/2" so I don't think a mouse could have gotten in there with her, but I'm kinda freaking out right now, I just don't know what to do.

Poke a hole in the bottom of the pellet bag, how big is it? Hopefully you can pour a little from the bottom corner, enough to tide her over until you can get more. A normal adult mouse can easily get in a space the size of a pencil top eraser. Get some traps, not poison. You should be able to see/smell any mouse urine. Is she off the floor?

Thanks for the idea with the food, she has a big food bowl and she had a full bag of food and it chewed through the very top, so I can prob give her enough to get through a day or 2 using that idea. Her cage is on the floor, I don't really have a way to get it off the floor. I looked in her cage and didn't find any evidence that the mouse was in there and I'm gonna stay up next to her cage tonight to make sure it stays away and I'll get a bunch of traps tomorrow. I'm gonna get some bleach too to disinfect the floor and anything else it could have touched. Is there anything else I should do? I am open for suggestions. Thanks.

Snap traps are going to be a good bet or glue boards. Either way you want to make sure that the traps are situated in places where other animals or children will not get into them. I would try using Victor mouse snap traps, and if you can find ones with an extended trigger those work the best. Be sure to bait them with peanut butter pressed firmly into the rectangular bait box on the trigger and press bait up from the under side of the trigger so that it squeezes up and around the triangle in the center of the trigger. Place the traps perpendicular to the wall with the trigger facing the wall. Likely points of entry are going to be gaps underneath doors, around pipes, and in corners of any room or closet. If you have trouble PM me, I do pest control for a living and can try to give you some more tips on catching them.

Thanks, we have been having awful luck with the traditional mouse traps, they keep getting the food an getting away. But we weren't doing it the way u said so I will change it. We got some of the no touch/no mess kind and they worked great. We caught 2 in 1 hour. I hate living in an old farm house, there is really no way to keep the mice from coming back. I just have to keep putting out traps. At least it's only for 2 weeks

Back