A LOT of questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIs86

okay i know i have asked many of some questions before but here is a list of new and old questions.

1.) If i get an aquarium as a tank is heat rocks okay?

2.) How big of a steril bin should i use a cage? I have a 150 quart / 99 liter one. Big enough? What Type of Heating should i use for the steril bin to not melt it?

3.) I am going to see a hedgehog in person on friday (with the possiblity of buying), :), which means how am i going to get it home? So my grandma has a cat carrier --> http://www.kittykondo.com/lg_5807_25308.jpg, in which i just have to clean cuz the soft floor has cat fur all over. Is this one okay for hedgehog transportation? and what should i put in it? ( i am from N.New Jersey so we got snow)

4.) where can i get a snuggie pack for cheap? I really don't want to order one online as i'm already waiting for an ipod (so far 1 and a half weeks went by no ipod). Sooo. i check petco and petsmart online but they didn't have any listed online.

5.) I saw on one website where there was a little thing: If the room temperature is good to where you do not need a sweater, then usually its good for the hedgie. TRUE? FALSE? (my dad keeps the thermostat at 69)

Please list the essentials for the cage

Last edited:
1.) If i get an aquarium as a tank is heat rocks okay?

--> I'd stay away from these. The heat rocks can be too hot for hedgie and cause burns.

2.) How big of a steril bin should i use a cage? I have a 150 quart / 99 liter one. Big enough? What Type of Heating should i use for the steril bin to not melt it?

--> What are the dimensions of the 150q bin in inches (or cm)? If you're using a Sterilite, you'll need to heat the whole room... which can get a tad costly.

3.) I am going to see a hedgehog in person on friday (with the possiblity of buying), , which means how am i going to get it home? So my grandma has a cat carrier --> http://www.kittykondo.com/lg_5807_25308.jpg, in which i just have to clean cuz the soft floor has cat fur all over. Is this one okay for hedgehog transportation? and what should i put in it? ( i am from N.New Jersey so we got snow)

--> I'd opt for a hard-sided carrier. They work better in case of an accident.

4.) where can i get a snuggie pack for cheap? I really don't want to order one online as i'm already waiting for an ipod (so far 1 and a half weeks went by no ipod). Sooo. i check petco and petsmart online but they didn't have any listed online.

--> A snuggie pack? I'm not quite sure what you're referring to. A snugglesafe disk (ie, the pink plastic disk with goo inside that you heat in a microwave)? A hedgiebag (ie, a fleece sleeping bag for hedgie)?

5.) I saw on one website where there was a little thing: If the room temperature is good to where you do not need a sweater, then usually its good for the hedgie. TRUE? FALSE? (my dad keeps the thermostat at 69)

--> FALSE. In general, hedgies need a minimum of 72F; however, that minimum changes from one hedgie to the next. Mine, for example, will start attempting hibernation below 75F. If your house is at 69F, you'll need to provide additional heating.

If you use a Sterilite bin, you'll either need to convince Dad to turn up the heat several degrees (even at night when most people turn it down) or buy a space heater that has a built-in thermostat.

If you get a wire top, plastic bottom cage, you can get a Ceramic Heat Emitter (CHE), clamp lamp rated for the CHE "bulb," and a thermostat controller. This is a more expensive system at first, but is less expensive in the long run because you're not paying to heat the entire house or room.

also can fish tank lights be used for heat lamps for hedgehogs?

--> No, I wouldn't recommend it. Hedgie will need ~12 hours of light per day and then it needs to go off at night. I'm not sure how warm fish tank lights will get - I also think you'd need to use a fish tank and those aren't good for ventilation unless it's HUGE. And, of course, once it's off at night, it'll become too cold for hedgie.

Back