A little stressed...going on vacation

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnt Offering

And was wondering what everyone does when they leave for an extended period of time. We are going to have a really nice 22 year old girl who I think is very responsible house sit for us while we are on vacation for two weeks. I spent about a half hour with her the other night showing her how to take care of my chins, let them out for play time etc. I have a huge cage and technically they don't need to be let out for playtime and I think they would be fine as they get tons of exercise just bouncing around inside their cage. But we all know how they live for playtime so I want them to be let out too. Of course my fear is that they will be let out, one will escape etc. I want to come home to both my chins. Can you all shed some light on what you do when you have to leave for en extended time? Thanks in advance :)

I would say move them to a closed room and tell your chin sitter to ONLY let them out in that room with the door shut. Never let them out without the doors/windows closed. I would also maybe get some sort of clip to put on the outside of the cage and notify the sitter that it is very important to never forget the clip when she puts the chins back into the cage. Never leave them unattended is another one I might put a note on.

I have one of my friends come stay at my house when we leave on vacation or whatever. I have a big white board that I write down all the animal's needs. She feeds/waters the chins and gives them dust baths, but that's it. No playtime. They will be fine without it until you get back.

When I had someone watching my critters in the past I never allowed out of cage playtime. There really is too much that could go wrong, not just escaping, if let out. Accidents happen with or without you and I always felt better knowing the chins (and other critters) were safely kept inside their cages. As Stacie said they will be fine without playtime until you get back, and adding on to what Kathy Bunny said, make it a rule that they should never open the cage for any reason (feeding, dusting, moving something, etc.) without making sure the doors and windows to the room are closed just in case there is an escapee from their cage.

OK, that confirms for me what I am feeling. My cage is huge, they get plenty of exercise even when not let out. I know I am probably one of the few men on this forum that actually have pet chins. And yes, I am Mr. Alaskana hunter, fisherman, all outdoors type of guy and I have two pet chins. :) A little out of the norm I know, but I love my chins and I would feel horrible if something happened to them while I was gone, not to mention it would put a huge damper on my vacation. Thanks all for the advice. and they will stay in their cage while I am gone.

Ive never left mine for an extended amount of time, however I dont think I would be comfortable letting anyone have them out of cage, no matter how responsible.

I too am taking a much needed, looooong overdue vacation and have instructed my pet sitter that by no means is she to let Jasper out of his cage. I will be out of the country and really can't come back at any old time to help out if something were to go wrong. They'll be fine :)

When we have a sitter for our chin I leave written care instructions and our cell phone numbers posted in the chin room.
I also leave emergency directions. I sit the carrier out, beside it I leave the name, address and regular and emergency phone numbers of the vet we use, directions from our house to the clinic, a pet emergency care limited power of attorney and how to answer questions on the care consent form at the vets.
I also call the vet clinic to let them know the dates we will be out of town, name of the sitter and confirm they have our correct cell phone numbers. And I make arrangements with the clinic about payment if we can't be immediately contacted.

Yes...absolutely. I'm gonna leave the vet's # along with a credit card should anything happen...

I think I'm more worried about the stress he may go through since he doesn't know the sitter and we've only had him just shy of 3 weeks. I hope he is okay :(

Back