4 weeks = Baby hedgie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIs86

Okay, yesterday night into this morning i was really bummed about not having a hedgie. But i soon got an email from a breeder saying that she has a hedgie BABY avaible in 4 weeks or so. :). I am soo happy. i emailed the girl a few times (yes i am a bit excited). I asked her if they are healthy (Which they are probably because she breed them and she is a vet major in college. I also asked if the transaction is definate so i won't be disappointed.

I am slightly disappointed in having to wait 4 weeks (or so) but it will be better so that a.) i can aquire a baby instead of a 1 and a half year old b.) i can do better prep for him/her and do more research since I am new to hedgies...

A few questions for you:

a.) In general is what is better in health wize male or female?
Do females have pms/monthlys?
(If i do get female her name is going to be Bella if its a boy not sure but i'm thinking somewhere between gizmo or gonzo. i'll take any suggestions)
b.) What to expect with a baby hedgie? (of course the age limit where it can leave mommy of course).
c.) I will be getting this baby hedgie from a town in MA which is 3.5 hours away, what kind of carrier should i get? i do have a cat carrier with holes on the side and top. What do i put in it for warmth? I do have heat warmers that get up to 126 - 144 degrees. Should i use this for a baby hedgie or will it get too warm if i put it under blankets?

Since i am getting this hedgie in 4 weeks any help will be appreciated via this website and email [email protected] if you are prefering to email me please put Hedgie in the subject line as all unknown emails will be deleted.

Thanks for your help.

Both hedgehogs genders are great. neither is better then the other in health =].
and no females do not have monthly's nor PMS. When near a male they come in "heat"
its best to get a hedgie at about 7-8 weeks old IF your getting a baby. one big thing to expect is quilling. but you can read all about that in other posts.as for the carrier im not 100% sure. im sure someone else could give you great ideas.

I am getting my hedgie in 5 weeks. (March 20, 2010). 1 month and 6 days to be exact.. Time will be going soo slowly since i'm looking forward to it. lol. It's going to be 8 weeks old at the time of pick up. Not sure if male or female yet, but i am hoping for female for some reason ( i think it's because most of my animals been male and really want to name it a girls name for once ).

Ive noticed you have been posting a lot of questions lately and that is good that you want to find out info about your hedgehog but one of the things about being a pet owner is to find the info when others arent around and not always rely on others to just GIVE you the information.

Most of the questions you have.. if not ALL have already been answered on this forum. There is a very convient "search" tool located at the top of every page. If you cannot find it here is the link to the advanced search http://chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/search.php If you still cant find the answers to your questions feel free to post and maybe someone will be able to help you!

Good Luck! You have plenty of time to research. It will make the time go by quicker if you take the time to do it. :)

Last edited:
Back