3questions for a low flat rate.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shubbles

Did someone say woood?
Ok so i have a special for yall three questions in ONE thread! ok so my first one is about quarantining. As Im hoping for another chin and a ferret nation for Christmas i was wondering, because i wanna baby, if you could wash down my old cage, which is half the size of a fn, and introduce the new chin in that cage.My main reason to do this is to make the baby used to jumping and i don't want it to fall. I just don't know if the cage would defeat the purpose of quarantining.Number 2. I was wondering how much weight that the each door on a ferret nation can hold. On this piece of paper i planned out what i wanted the cage to look like. I had maybe 7-9 shelves on this one door. That may sound a little bit insane to some, but i simply don't know. Ok and the third and final one is do young chins do better with older chins (maybe 2 years difference.) As ive said i want a baby so that i can form it to being very social, but my guy gets kinda well.....angry at night, but of course i don't know if he's grumpy the whole night. I really want to get him a buddy, but if a chinchilla can get moody does that mean that it will be the same way with another chinchilla. Thanks for reading so many questions that i have pounded onto you. Any answers would be great!:)

Clean it with a bleach water mix and it'll be fine. The biggest deal is not the cage, but where the cage is, they need to be in different rooms for quarantine and don't go from one to the other you can carry stuff on you.

that is a lot of shelves... do you plan on having to open the door? LOL

Even getting a baby can not guarantee a social chin, genetics plays a huge part in temperament. My friend and I were actually talking about this... I have a kitten I rescued over a year ago, he's anti-social, runs from all of us but my youngest, and tears the crap out of everything ( he's one step from being a barn cat ) we've had him since he was about 5 weeks old when I pulled him out a tree pile about to be burnt. His parents are feral... he's not very social able. Anyway, my friend said they were talking about some study or perhaps just observations from the vet she worked at when she was in Texas about implanting embyros in mares. Even if the egg donor had a good temperament, if the surrogate was a nutter, then they baby would also often have the nutty attitude although it was not genetically related at all, which suggests many things affect temperament in utero. I do not have any research on this personally, but I found it interesting.

Just a couple thoughts.

Thanks, I'm not sure if i would have to open the top door or not. The bottom door would maybe have one and i would think thats the only one i would have to open, just to let him out. Probably though the shelves would need to be cleaned at some point so i would have to open that top door open, i just don't want to open it and the whole door breaking off its hinges.

I was actually imagining the door being so heavy it was drag and you COULDN'T get it open! If you're not going to open it all the time, I'd try it and see. You'll notice it's straining before it falls all the way off! :p

I wouln't reccomend a young chin with an older chin. I've had many pairs of chins and it seems to me like the closer they are in age, the easier and better they get along. I had a pair of chins that were introduced as babies, and lived peacefullly for 3 years until I rehomed them. I tried introducing an older (by 3 years) chin to them, and neither would accept it. I also tried introducing a younger (by 1 year) chin to them, with the same results.
Currently, I have a trio of chins living together, They are all males. The oldest is 5, VERY docile and loving, wouldn't hurt a fly, so I introduced him to a 4 year old male, they got along great. the 4 year old tends to be a little bit bossy, while the 5 yr old tends to be a bit of a pushover. This relationship was going great, and when I got another male, I wanted to see what would happen. This one was only 2 years old. When they first met each other, all went well, and everyone seemed to get along, and after a few introductions, i placed them all in the same cage. Things were fine, until the youngest started trying to boss the other two around. They didn't take to this too well and chased him off their shelves and out of their tubes. He eventually settled down and found the food dish. Upon his discovery, he proceeded to sit squat in the middle of it and stand heavy guard over it and would nip at anyone that came near. Needless to say, this didn't work out too great. haha.
But, you never know, it really all just depends on your own personal chins.

I dont see 7 or 8 shelves or leapers working on one single door.... they would have no where to actually land. They are pretty good cages and can hold a good amount of weight, but you dont want to push it. You will end up ruining panes.

I have never tried to get my chins to like eachother, mine are all seperate, so I am of no use there, but dont over do the cage so much the chin has no room to move, remember they like to jump and play.

the cage isn't like stuffed with shelves as it might have sounded. basically i have a stair case of shelves spread all around the cage. the end of a shelf does meet with the front of the other shelf in most places, but the one on top is 6 inches above. each shelf is 6 by 6 actually some are 8 by 8. I am going to get the cage soon so i would of course rethink my plan when i see the actual cage. do you guys space your shelves like this _ - those lines were my little model lol. if you didn't get it i meant like have one shelf and then maybe 2 or so inches away and 5 or 6 inches tall you have another shelf or are do you do it like I'm imagining _- one on top of the other, but 5-6 inches above each other. also my chinchilla was already with his brother, but sadly the little guy died very young. We are not sure why, the house was at a good temperature, but there was construction work being done around the area, outside though which is weird. I miss him very much,:cry3: but what i was saying is he got along with him very well. His bro died around 2 years ago so maybe he would do well with another chin since he did well with one before. I'm just spitballin so......... back to the shelves again, if you don't do it like i described how do you?

Last edited:
wait ferret nations have four doors, i thought they had 2 large doors my bad. I don't know if this will make a difference on the weight issue or not, but there is 3-4 shelves on one door and maybe 2-3 on the other.

in the ferret nation club thread some people don't even put shelves on the front door space, i think its just a waste of space and i would like to use all the space i can get.

Back