3 Chinchillas in one dustbox...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gemma

Is it okay to give dustbaths to multiple chinchillas at a time (3)
They push eachother out and try rolling with eachother, I'm just worried they might break something..

60411.jpg

(not my chichilla) but that is the box above I use, and all three try to go in at the same time and I try to keep it to where its one in at a time but, their faster then me! Only two really fit in, and the third goes right in after one comes out. Its crazy.
I just want to know if its ok..

I'm not sure. A lot of people with multiple chins gets covered kitty litter boxes for dusting. That way everyone fits without having to push each other around. You wouldn't want someone getting stuck, I can only imagine what a nightmare that would be. I can't even think of how you would go about getting them un-stuck without hurting them.

Ooooh thanks for the idea, Isabella! I'm going to have to find one now.

Gemma, I have that dust bath holder and have two chins. They don't seem to have an issue, but better safe than sorry. Not to mention, they don't understand the concepts of "wait your turn".

i no the feelin. I have two males in one cage, and three females in another. Wait your turn is not a concept they understand. (except for my one male chico; females, forget it)

the only things u can rly do are let one get in, and lightly cover the front with your hand untill the one in their is ready to come out. Or if your capable, seperate them and do it one at a time. Or possibly get two bath houses.

I havnt looked at any other types of bath houses, so that i cant comment on.

Many years ago I had two chins that were a little on the larger side. They had one of the plastic dust houses and would dust together. One day they wouldn't come out because they were stuck in the house. I had to take a hack saw to it and pull it open to free them...I was so nervous about that but they were very stuck!

If the chins are larger, I would worry...but if they average sized or small chins, you probably could use the dust house. I use a ceramic baking pan for groups of chins to dust in because they all pile in and need the dust at the same time. Maybe you could use something else?

I have 5 boys in one cage and use a metal bathroom type trash can. At first 4 boys all get in at once and have a dust orgy. Adam has to wait a few minutes.

Agh, okay. I'll try covering it.. I'd opt for the kitty litter box however their all being seperated in a few weeks anyway,

Thanks guys!

if they don't fight I think it's fine. Two of my boys share a dust house (larger opening than yours). they don't really fit in it together so one jumps in and pushes the other out and they just keep doing that. if you don't mind dust eveywhere, you can get a large mixing bowl that they both fit into.

many people use larger dust bowls/baths as a way to help chins get along. so as long as they're not fighting over the dust I think it's safe.

I use a small cage to bathe my chins. I can put three or four of them in at a time. I put a 1 gallon fishbowl in there for the ones who prefer being closed in while they bathe. Dust is spread across the cage bottom and in the fish bowl. works great for me.

Sounds good! I think I'll opt for using a plastic bin maybe. I just can't breath in the dust it makes me choke sometimes x.x

I have Chichi and Tia together. I have one of those dust houses, but I also got a larger glass bowl. That way they each have their own dust. They seem to like it better...

A litter box would work too. Never thought of that!

I like to use a big plastic jar that I got from my church's preschool, It came with animal crackers in it and I think they said they got it at Walmart or Sam's. Three of my girls can fit in it at the same time. It is rectangular so there is a flat surface and they dont throw as much dust out as when I used an open dish. You could always try like a smaller storage container or something that has sides like that.

Back