2011 CA ECBC Spring Field Day

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here was my write-up and pics. Sorry I didn't think to post this earlier!!

------

Just thought I'd share my experience at my very first chinchilla show. I went to the California ECBS show this past Saturday. Not knowing what to expect, I was open to the possibilities.

I drove up from San Diego with Menagerie aka Meanie, and we picked up Cindy aka Nikes Mom, about 2 hours into the drive for a total of 3.5 hour adventure. I had never met either so it was a lot of fun getting to know them. We stopped off at Cindy's and got to meet Shelly, who is amazingly cute and completely spoiled.

The drive was long but very fun. Cindy and I chose to sit in the back of the van (no middle seats) and pretended to be on a chauffeured ride. Cindy had baked a massive amount of snickerdoodle, peanut butter, and chocolate cookies for everyone. NOMstastic. She is an excellent baker.

I guess I never really paid attention to where Frazier Park was so I was a bit surprised to see SNOW! I haven't seen snow on the ground in many years. Not to mention, it was **** cold. I began to rethink my clothing choices and was thankful to have a large, wool cape from Ireland to wrap about me.

I guess when I thought about going to a chinchilla show, I imagined to be like a dog show (I was thinking more like Westminster). Lot's of activity, hustle and bustle, etc. Wrong. Located at this small lodge in the mountains, there was about 30 people total and tables and tables and tables of chinnies in identical cages, all sorted by color. No colorful fleece, toys or food. :) Located in the middle of the room was a long table with low fluorescent tube lighting. I also noticed that all the "experienced" people had brought along blankets and comforters to wrap themselves up in. Smart people.

Dropping off the cookies at the well-stocked kitchen counter, we took our seats and were told the "rules," such as no talking while the judge was, etc. It was a surprise in the end when the three of us didn't get kicked out for our frivolity at times.

One by one the chinnies were evaluated, held up to the light, stared at and cages shaken. I guess I thought they would be holding each one up. Silly me. It was extremely interesting to hear why some were weeded out and why others were awarded placings. I learned a lot. Cindy and I also realized, after touching the winners, how very different these animals were to our own "pets." The fur was amazingly dense.

We broke for lunch and opted to run down the road to Quiznos to use Meanie's $2.99 coupons. Another first for me. I liked it! By the time we got back we somehow missed the entire white and violet judging. Oopsies. We made it back in time for the mosaics and finished up with the ebonies and black velvets. Unbelievably beautiful.

We all three won a raffle prize which was a bag of Manzanita chips. Handbag had a mixed review. Cindy gave Meanie and I both a sample of her kiwi, pear and cholla stock. Meanie graced us both with her "chinnie pasta" aka chinnie crack.

After meeting and chatting with Sumiko (Chinchilla Chateau), Tabitha (RDZC Ranch) and Nan (Snickers) we got ready for our long drive home. We stopped off at Pyramid Lake for some pics and spent the rest of the ride in and out of Los Angeles traffic. Meanie and I finally pulled into where my Jeep-Jeep was parked at about 9pm. Very long, but enjoyable day.

Here are some pics of the day.

To give you an idea of where we went.

map.jpg

Cindy brought some dynamite coffee and we relaxed while Meanie chauffeured us.

coffee.jpg

The scenery was beautiful!

scenery.jpg

Why you should read the weather report before going somewhere. lol

snow2.jpg

Cindy and I posing in the snow with my teeny, tiny snowball I made.

anniecindysnow.jpg

The standards all napping after their showing.

napping.jpg

Cindy loving' on Buttons, a potential future housemate for Shelly. Here with Tabitha.

tab.jpg

Tabitha's newest addition from the State Show from Bill Booker. She was GORGEOUS! Meanie tried to steal her.

MeanieCC.jpg

The judging

judging.jpg

Sumiko organizing her chinnies.

sumiko.jpg

Tabitha's chinny and overall show winner.

bestinshow.jpg

This little doll was for sale. Tempting.

cutesale.jpg

I found KITTENS! Me with an adorable kitty Tabitha had with her as she was hand-feeding about six of them. Too cute.

kitty.jpg

Stopped off at Pyramid Lake for some pics.

PyramidLake.jpg

Back