2 rescue boys without boy parts

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peep_erz

So I went to go pick up the blonde and smoky gray chinchilla. The guy had them in the carrier already and they were super mad and kacking at any little sound or movement. I asked him if he was sure they were male and he said yes he was definitely sure. I really didn't want to try and grab them when they were kacking and hooting so bad in the carrier so I took them and left.

Stupid me believed that someone who would call their chinchilla colors blonde and smoky gray would know how to sex them.

When I got home I got a piece of fleece and wraped it around the gray one and fliped "him" over. "he" has a little to no space between the cone and anus and there is nothing to push out of the cone. I went into panic. I grabbed the other one and flipped the chin over and thank gawd "he" didn't have any man bits either! *big sigh of relief*

Ok so now I have two girls named Deez and Nutz. Name change will happen soon but right now I have to decide and figure out if I am going to keep them or rehome them.

My chin room is 4 boys and I really don't want to change their bonds. I'm afraid that if I keep these girls and they eventually move into the chin room my boy pairs will go nuts when the girls are in heat. Will this actually happen or is it safe to move the girls into the all boy chin room after quarantine?

(side note: I do eventually want to start a chin rescue but I wasn't planning on it right away.)

Deez and Nutz? Oh my...

At least you were able to tell that they are indeed NOT boys. What if someone would have bought them and put them with boys? That could have turned out not so great.

I think that if you keep the girls far enough away it should be alright. But some boys will go insane if they are within three feet of a girl. I'd make sure that the girls are AT LEAST three feet away so that the boys can't smell them as easily. Don't let the girls play around the boys' cages either just to be safe. (I never let anyone play in the two chin rooms because it makes EVERYONE insane!)

Having girls in the same room could totally change and ruin the dynamics with the boys and you may end up having a lot of single housed chins.

I had a pair of boys that I was chin sitting for an extended period. They had been in a boy only house and were fine while being quarantined in another room. But a month or so after going into my chin room which houses both males and females one killed the other. That's not something I ever want to experience again. Their cage was more than 3 feet from any girls, so I wouldn't trust that as being a safe distance.

I agree with Meanie. I have had a girl across the room from boys in my rescue room and had problems. Unfortunately I don't think 3 ft. is enough.

Yeah thats what I'm afraid of. I emailed the people I got them from telling them the situation. If Colin is ok with sharing the den with the girls I might keep them. If not I told the original owners I can foster them here until I/we find another home for them or if they want they can take them back.

I feel bad for the chins because they are being bounced around so much and I feel stupid for not checking while I was there.

No, males kack too. It's a luck of the draw in regards to keeping males/females together. I have 2 males and 4 females in the same room, and my boys are fine together. Many other people have males and females in the same room also and it's fine. So it's really a matter of do you want to try it or not.

I never have any problems if the girls are at the opposite end of the room. Chins don't have a very great sense of smell. If the girls are far enough away, you won't have a problem with the boys being influenced by pheromones. Males will turn on each other without the presence of a female, it's mostly a dominance thing amongst them. It's best to be observant when it comes to males so that they do not kill each other. At the first signs of fighting they need to be separated.

I have boys right next to girls in a couple of cases and have no problems whatsoever with them. I know what works here.

I have to agree with Susan and at the same time Meanie. It all depends on the boys you have housed together. Some will go crazy if they smell a female in heat but most won't do a thing and won't even notice the different hormones in the air.

Keep them at a safe distance and monitor your males closely for any change in behavior. If the smell of a female going into heat made any pair of boys fight I'd have a lot of dead males on my hands. Boys that aren't in breeding or that I'm growing out stay in pairs or more to maximize cage space. They have females all throughout the room going into heat at different times and my female to male ratio is very heavy towards the females. Keep in mind as well that some of these boys have even BEEN in breeding before and produced litters so they know how to recognize a female in heat. Chances are if the males fight once the female is in the room, you have two dominant personalities caged together and they would have gotten into a tizzy sooner or later.

I also have cages of boys in the chin room with cages of girls with no problem. However, I've also had to separate 2 pairs of boys because of fighting and had the one that I was chin sitting kill his cage mate. I'm not saying it always happens, but it is something to be aware of and to keep a close eye on. Especially if the chins have been in a totally female free environment.

My chin room isn't that big to begin with so trying to house the females in there away from the males I think is too risky.

I'm renaming Deez to Demi for now and I'm not sure sure about Nutz. Any suggestions?

How frustrating. Well, I have three boys housed together who are now 2 years old and have never fought. They are in the chin room with ~30 other chins, many of whom are females (of which some are pregnant, some are in heat, and some have kits from time to time). I think this is the exception though as these boys are triplets and have been together since birth. I have had other pairs of males though who eventually decided they were no longer going to get along.

For Nutz, how about Nadia? Or Nala? Or Nora?

Nala was the first thing that came to my head but for some reason I don't like it for her. Nora. . .hm. . . .*thinks about it*

I have a rescue chinnie named Nora. It's a good name and Nora would love to have a 'sister' chinnie out there sharing a wonderful name. I got two rescue chins from the Arlington raid and the ebony one is named Nola and the beige one is named Nora.

This is probably too crude but how about "No Nutz". :rofl:

If you aren't able to keep them is there another chin rescue in your area who would be willing to take them in? If the previous owners weren't the best it'd be too bad for them to have to go back there.

Back