1st Blue Diamond Sold On Chinchillas.com Auction

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mark miller

Miller Chinchillas
The first Blue Diamond chinchilla was sold on 2-1-12 on Chinchillas.com online auction. It received 36 bids and achieved a final sale price of $3555.00. Another good sign of the market for this highly desired double recessive color chinchilla.

Sure is a looker! What is the goal of breeding Blue Diamonds in America at this point? Are they going to remain a novelty like curly chinchillas and other rare mutations? Or is the hope to make them a less costly, better understood, more mainstream mutation to work with?

The Blue Diamonds that I am currently working with and selling have already been developed the right way. They were strictly bred and developed for strong health, good fertility, and excellent fur quality. These were the 3 main points strived for and achieved by the original breeder. If someone was to raise Blue Diamonds just for their fur, there is no doubt in my mind that the demand for their beautiful blue color in chinchilla made garments would be great. The animals were developed for this and are already at a high quality rate for this use. The prices paid for the first group of Blue Diamond pelts sold were the highest amounts for any color chinchilla at the Copenhagen Fur auction. So, that is one use that they are already established for. I am hoping to further develop them into a larger more desired type of show animal here in the US. I want to continue to build on the established quality that they already have. That is my own personal goal for them. Most of all, they are just a really eye appealing color chinchilla in person. Which attracts hobbyists and pet chinchilla owners to them as well. They are the "new" thing right now and anytime you want to be among the first to have the hot new thing, you have to pay a premium. With Blue Diamonds, because of their established good quality, it is easier to make that investment pay off once you've established what your goals are for working with them. They are much more versatile than the Curly mutations or the Royal Persian Angora's because there is no pelt market or live animal show uses for those 2. There are many more ways to market and sell Blue Diamonds and you can work with them so much easier using any dominant type of chinchillas. They are definitely a good breeding tool for any breeder that knows what they're doing and how to work with them to further develop desireable traits. Once you have a Blue Diamond to work with, they are virtually as simple to breed as any single recessive. They truly are "The Color of the Future" because they can be worked with for many different goals and their popularity because of their attractive eye appealing color will continue to grow.

I don`t think we can compare the chinchilla.com prices with what 90% of the people will pay for a chinchilla. The auction site can sell a nicely marked mosaic for thousands of Dollars, and most buyers that pay that much are overseas.

Claudia

It is a gorgeous color and I am glad that someone imported them and makes it easier for us to own one, but $4000 is definitely out of my price range too.

I am hoping that they are not that much for people that don`t want to buy from the auction site.

Claudia

The auction site is just another means of promoting Blue Diamonds. It shows you the interest that there is for this beautiful double recessive color chinchilla and what some people are willing to pay to get one. I'm trying to promote and sell the Blue Diamonds to US breeders as efficiently and cost prohibitive as possible. The goal is to make them available to all the breeders in the US that want to work with this new double recessive color and are willing to make the initial investment for the opportunity to be among the first to have and work with this beautiful color chinchilla. If my goal was just to make money on them, I would send them all to the auction and sell them for the highest prices possible. It is nice to know there is a strong demand for them worldwide, but my goal is to fill the demand for them here in the US and that's what I'm trying to accomplish. So far, several US breeders have gotten in on this great opportunity. As long as the demand continues in the US, I will do my best to fulfill orders and distribute Blue Diamonds to all here.

That looks like my girl after she has dusted! Where's my for sale sign?!?! lol

Mark, thanks for making the long drive to meet up with me to get my Blue Diamonds. The violet sapphire carrier continues to gain weight and I think will deliver very soon. They are beautiful.

Back