100g Weight Gain

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jazicat

We have had Edgar for two weeks and last Saturday he was weighed at the vet at 362 grams. Tonight we weighed him and it looks like he has gained almost 100 grams. Is this normal? Do they have growth spurts?

Edgar was born on 9/8/09 and is on MannaPro pellets. He gets fresh timothy hay and an alfalfa block. We don't add any treats to his diet but the breeder did add a little bit of stuff to the pellets. The amount is very small and I pick as much of it out as possible so he doesn't get more than what would be a few oats. Edgar also has some apple wood, pumice and a cuttlebone but no other treats. He also gets all the fresh water he wants.

Thank you in advance for your help!

At just over 3 months old, he still has quite a bit of growing to do. 100g in two weeks is a lot (7g a day), but I would not be concerned with a young chin. He is likely having a growth spurt. You also have to take into account scale differences.

Actually, I think they mean a 100g weight gain since last Saturday - which is less than a week. I've never seen a chin gain that much, that quickly. That's somewhere in the 15g per day range. I guess it's possible and I wouldn't really worry about it. Most likely one of the scales is just off, doubt the vets would be though.

100 grams in one week is what I meant. I guess if you think about it they do have a lot of growing to do in 6 months. I have seen birds grow from a few ounces to a pound in a month but I didn't expect to see so much growth with Edgar. To be honest the reason we weighed him is he just looks bigger.

Otherwise he seems a very happy and healthy guy. We are lucky to have found such a sweetie and have no complaints with healthy growing.

Thank you guys for helping as I am like a nervous new mom sometimes.

Back