What makes a good/reputable breeder

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I want to expand on what I said earlier this would be included in the proper care and science of breeding I mentioned earlier. In order for me to consider some one a good breeder is for them to take the position that any and all mall. That occurs in any animals they produce is genetic until proven otherwise. and that any and all reports of mall. will immediately
be cause for a through investigation and screening of the entire line and remove as many chins as the findings dictate. Up to and including the entire line if needed.

I will stay away from the other open debate on this forum.

To me a good breeder is someone who know's the in's and out's of not only their animals but the breed in general. One who is honest, caring and kind to animals and others who are trying to learn more. Also, they MUST have good paperwork on animals. People who buy tons of animals then offload un-pedigreed "breeders" that came from so and so's heard don't cut it with me anymore. To me a reputable breeder MUST carry the same traits and more.

Being new to chins (this last year) I made a couple mistakes in judgement and fell for some crap but I learned from it. I also made a couple really EXCELLANT buys on chins without meaning to.

One thing I will have to say is for me, a GOOD breeder will not judge and condemn the new for making mistakes. That judgement may be what creates another BAD breeder out there if they feel judged and not helped.

A good reputable breeder is someone that strives to produce the best animals they can. They are honest and willing to help others learn to do the same. Sure as a ranch or even smaller hobby breeding situation you have to be business minded and attempt to at least break even( good luck!) But realizing that in the scheme of things sustainability and accountability are your, the breeder/rancher, responsibilities is important. The breeder that welcomes new owners, breeders and even ranchers while educating them to the best of their ability, that's who i buy from.

Does the amount of chins owned by a breeder effect their quality or reputation? Is it possible to give the attention and care needed if a breeder has 200+ chins? This may be a dumb question but why do some have so many ? They aren't used for pelts are they? Are all "breeders" on here for pets or breeding or show only? Is it better to get a chin from someone with a medium amount versus a huge herd? Can someone enlighten me on the main differences please?

Large numbers doesn't affect the quality (as long as you're breeding quality animals that is), but can affect the temperament. I've purchased chins from breeders with 1000s+ though with wonderful temperaments. I don't think it's really possible to play with each chin each day if you're a rancher, but it doesn't always have to be about temperament, as long as you're breeding for quality. Not all animals are used for pelts, some are with large ranchers, but many are sold for breeding or for pets. All breeders should be shooting for show quality animals, whether they have pet temperaments or be used for breeding, they should try to AIM for quality animals. It doesn't mean they'll always get quality animals, but that should be the goal. It's up to the buyer on whether or not they want to purchase from a small hobby breeder or a rancher. I personally like to purchase from both, and I've purchased tons of chins from small hobby breeders with horrible temperaments, as well as chins from ranchers who are the sweetest thing in the world.

With that being said - any person can end up with 200+ chins in no time, but that doesn't make them a good or bad breeder because of the numbers. The main goal is to strive for quality, and to aim for improvement in the chins.

Last edited:
Does the amount of chins owned by a breeder effect their quality or reputation?

No.

Is it possible to give the attention and care needed if a breeder has 200+ chins?

It depends on what you define as "needed" attention and care. All chins require are food, water and clean shelter, and that is fairly easy to give to 1000s of animals.

This may be a dumb question but why do some have so many ? They aren't used for pelts are they? Are all "breeders" on here for pets or breeding or show only?

There are pelters on this forum. As for those who don't pelt - greater numbers means more to show, more to sell, more success (and more expense, more work).

Is it better to get a chin from someone with a medium amount versus a huge herd?

No. It is better to get the chin that you want.

Can someone enlighten me on the main differences please?

I don't think herd size makes a difference. When I think of bad breeders, typically they only have a handful of chins they were trying to get rich quick with.

IMO - it doesn't matter the # of chins the breeder/rancher has. I'm not going to discriminate on where I get my chin from - what matters to me is that the breeder has a history in breeding to improve the lines (and it's important to me that they can back that up w/ past show information, etc), and that the chins in their care are well taken care of, have their needs met, etc.
Another thing that is important to me is that the breeder have an "open door policy" and be open to me staying in touch with them, asking questions (even after the sale), etc.

Most of it has been said already- but a big pet peeve of mine is breeders that sell kits from show parents for a ton of money. I fell for this once when I started, spent over $200 on a 6 week old mosaic female from 'spectacular parents'. She didn't turn out well at all very small and off color. With maybe a few exceptions I like to see breeders that sell kits for pet prices no matter the lineage until they are old enough to properly assess quality.

Back