Baytril oral or injectable

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never had skin issues with injectible baytril. But I am very careful to not get any baytril in contact with the skin. Typically, I draw the baytril up into the syringe with one needle and put a fresh needle on to inject. If for some reason using two needles isn't an option, I wipe the needle before injecting to remove any baytril from the needle. Baytril is extremely acidic, this is what causes the "burns."

Typically, I draw the baytril up into the syringe with one needle and put a fresh needle on to inject. If for some reason using two needles isn't an option, I wipe the needle before injecting to remove any baytril from the needle.
That's an excellent point - I do the same, using a fresh needle for drawing up and another fresh needle for administration.

off subject a little. What sort of 'chaser' do you use after giving batril by mouth??

I offer a chaser with any medicine. Usually a treat that the animal will readily take. With chins a rosehip, a bit of lifeline paste, etc.. In my limited experience if a chin has been sick enough to need baytril than it was also sick enough to require hand feeding. In the few times I've dealed with baytril there was already a lot of health care being administered, not just the drug.

As a pet owner, with no medical training, I was terrified of giving an injection. I learned out of necessity when I had to give sub-q fluids. Now that I know how to do it I think I would have to discuss the specific situation with my vet before deciding to give oral or injectable medication. If I'm not mistaken some gut motility drugs can also be injected.

I have never given baytril as an injection nor would I unless I was told there was no other way. I mentioned injectable baytril to my vet a short time back and she looked at me like a said something horrible. She told me you never give injectable baytril to chins or it can cause necrosis or an abcess. I'm sure you could ask a hundred vets and they would all say something different.

My vet always flavors the baytril though so taste is not an issue with giving it. I have found that if a chin does not want to cooperate to take meds, it does not matter what it is, they can be stubborn and not want to swallow. I have had a few chins over the years stop eating, but most don't seem to be affected. I always give acidophilus and help them in any way possible to keep them eating including cc when necessary.

Many of you on here who give the injectable are either breeders or people who have years of experience with chins. My issue is that I talk with many, many chin parents who can't even give oral meds to chins let alone give them a needle and ask them to inject their chin. I know they would never be able to handle it. I have also known many vets over the years who would never give a needle to their clients when an oral med is an option.

I worry about that, too. People, who have no experience with injecting a chin, may not feel comfortable with it. It's best given right into a muscle - I always go for the back leg for that. But, what if someone doesn't know? You can end up really hurting a chin with injecting baytril, it's very basic and can cause base burns under the skin where it is trapped and isn't moving along.

The flavored bases they use for Baytril usually do the trick, it makes it so much easier to give to squirmy chins since they love the taste.

I worry about that, too. People, who have no experience with injecting a chin, may not feel comfortable with it. It's best given right into a muscle - I always go for the back leg for that. But, what if someone doesn't know? You can end up really hurting a chin with injecting baytril, it's very basic and can cause base burns under the skin where it is trapped and isn't moving along.

The flavored bases they use for Baytril usually do the trick, it makes it so much easier to give to squirmy chins since they love the taste.

Not only this, but if you don't know where you're sticking a needle into a bundle of muscle (and let's face it, chins have teeny teeny muscles) you can hit a nerve or blood vessel and cause a whole host of other problems!

After using oral baytril, I do think there are appropriate times for both oral and injectable medications.
I'm administering oral baytril to a chin who is bloated and has a slower GI at the moment because she stopped eating. She was never in full on stasis and her gut continues to move.
When being given oral baytril my first thought was will it put her off her food?
A quick thought told me it didn't mater as she was already being hand feed and would likely continue to be hand fed long after the course of baytril was finnished.
I think in some cases injectable would be a better choice for many meds. And it needs to be considered case by case. If some one is not conmortable doing an injection, heck has never had to restrain a chin for any thing it may Definitly out way any physical reasons to give it as an injectable.
There will not be a solid 'this is the better choice.period.' because both are available and are used for/in different circumstances. With the help of a experienced veterinarian individuals need to make the choice that's right for both the animal, and themselves.

Back