Hazel's babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I can answer that question with so much assurance as I haven't been to shows, but at the same time, I think that you are allowed to show any color chinchilla that you want, but as to beiges, I am not sure if a dark or a lighter beige would be more desirable or more beautiful than the other, I thought that as long as they are of very good quality and good fur and conformation and at the same time the fur should have a blue hue and not an oxidized color it should be alright, correct me if I'm wrong.

Light homo beiges are shown quite often. That being said, would I have bred your boy Copper looking at that 6 month picture? No.

He would've been 9 months old when he impregnated the female. Unless things changed drastically in his veiling and density, size, and confirmation from that 6 month picture, I wouldn't have bred him at all.

I also would not have bred that male. Just for comparison, this guy was 6 months old here also. He took 3rd best beige at ECBC Nationals:
100_5405.jpg

By six months, an animal should be showing quite a bit of his potential.

Is light beige like that a desirable color in showing?

Yep, as long as the chin is good show quality overall. Lighter colour phase beiges (though not necessarily homo beiges specifically) actually tend to do better, I believe. Here's a homo beige owned by my chin's breeder:
http://www.altcar-chinchillas.co.uk/meettheboys.htm
As you can probably tell from the pic., he's a big, blocky chin.

Oh I wish all my chins looked like that, and would have loved that Copper was as big, that's why I decided to put him with a standard female at least for this time to see what his babies turned out, he has been separated from this female and they were 59 and 58 grams when they were born, so hoping they turn out nice enough,

I would really love to have all gorgeous chins, but I am working on it, it really takes time and money especially when is so hard to be able to purchase good quality chins in Canada, they have to be brought most from the US and that is quite expensive, so a little bit at a time I try to get a couple nice chins here and there, but it takes time to cull out chins and select the ones that you realized that were not as nice and keep the best ones.

Copper was not bred by me, his mom came pregnant when I got her and his mom weighed about 900 grams, his dad was Ryersons and whitewoods lines, so really was hoping to see if Copper would give some nice babies, but for now, I am waiting to see how these ones turn out.
Copper is one of my most calm chins, he is very cuddly and he could stay put for a long time, so even if I don't breed him anymore, I don't think that I could ever let him go, he is a very lovable boy.

The problem is Kathy, and I don't want to come across being rude, that you are doing your chins a huge disservice by posting the pics that you have. I think if you want accurate answers and helpful advice my advice to you would be to put the blue cloud to your chins several days before your photo shoot, groom them (I think this is probably the most important in your case), and take photos on a white background with show lights. That is the only way you will get the answers you need. Otherwise I am with everyone else. He looks poorly veiled, lacks conformation, and to me he looks very skinny. Is he? I don't know but the pics makes him look like he is. I think if you did the above you would see a completely different chin. Maybe not.

I hope this helps some
Jessica

Back