Meet Chance.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, we have two new residents (down to only one hog was making the whole house depressed). One was "Sonic" from the SPCA (thanks for seeing him) who is now Cedrick (hopefully that sounds like Sonic to him) and the other was a rescue off of kijiji going for free but completely blind (in fact his eyes are gone likely from his own doing). I'll post about them soon so as not to take over Chance's intro. If you have any problems fitting Chance into your apartment, you know who to call... ;)

I'm glad you got the kijiji one April. Thanks for looking into that one

Kendra

Yes, we have two new residents (down to only one hog was making the whole house depressed). One was "Sonic" from the SPCA (thanks for seeing him) who is now Cedrick (hopefully that sounds like Sonic to him) and the other was a rescue off of kijiji going for free but completely blind (in fact his eyes are gone likely from his own doing). I'll post about them soon so as not to take over Chance's intro. If you have any problems fitting Chance into your apartment, you know who to call... ;)

I'm glad little Cedric got a home with you! I was wondering about him. LOL, I'll keep you in mind, but I don't think we'll have any issues fitting him here. Here's his update from today:

" We went to the vet today at 3:30. I had a little traveling case from when I had my guinea pig, so I used that with a cuddly towel and a shirt that he loves. Dr. George tried to check him out without putting him under, but Chance was having none of that. Dr. George left to go prep the surgery area and while he was doing this, Chance decided to be social and started playing around and exploring the examining table. He seemed to be alright, his quills were down and he wasn't even huffing or going into a ball, which is RARE. Anyways, Dr. George got me to bring him to the back and he used this cone thing that surrounded him to put him under. He then examined his tummy first. He had a small bit of something, not sure what, stuck to his tummy so Dr. George pulled that off. Next he examined his "belly button" and Chance is definitely MALE! Afterwards, he checked his jaw, teeth, and tongue and all looks good. He had a bit of a blackhead on his snout by his mouth but Dr. George brushed it off with a q-tip. Next, Dr. George checked the bumps on his head, and (I'm embarrassed to admit this!) they were just two clumps of lint. Chance has some dry skin, but no mites. He also got his nails cut while he was under. Coming-to, he was super cuddly and again had his quills down.

When we got home, I put him back in his cage for a nap. Then, later, we gave him a bath in the kitchen. We decided to just use water this time, and no soap. Chance really seemed to enjoy it actually! He didn't go in a ball, or huff, or put his quills out. We rinsed him with the sprayer on really light, and he didn't seem to mind. I took him out and wrapped him in a towel and just patted him dry a bit and then we put him on the kitchen floor. My mom dried him a bit with the hairdryer on low. This whole time, he's letting us touch him, quills down, no huffing and he's running around exploring and climbing our legs and just having a ball! After he was done playing, I gathered him into a nice clean towel and his heating pad and cuddled on the couch with him for about an hour and a half. I had to leave to come home so I passed him on to my dad who will probably be cuddling for awhile. While he was laying on me, he let me pet him, and kept his quills down and didn't jump or huff once. He was super relaxed and cozy and warm.

All-in-all, I think we've made a lot of progress with him today! He really seems a changed guy today! "

That sounds really promising! Hopefully he will make a full recovery from his treatment at the hands of those bad people. Do you have a date when he's going to be moving in? Do you think you'll keep his name or give him a new one?

He's moving in around the 25th of June, and yes, his name will be staying put. I think it's a very fitting one for him.

I wanted to reply earlier... when you first posted. But I was feeling too sad/angry/disappointed after reading what his former humans did do him. So I closed the thread and tried to pretend like it wasn't there... that people wouldn't do that kind of thing.

I am, however, very glad that he'll have a new chance at life with you. I know you'll treat him well.

Sending positive vibes to you and Chance ;)

Here are a few new photos that Shannon posted:

4889_92088214857_501924857_1974648_2821169_n.jpg

4889_92088194857_501924857_1974645_3077384_n.jpg

4889_92088184857_501924857_1974643_1654469_n.jpg

Peekaboo!

Links to other photos: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=87180&id=501924857

Today is the day! He'll be here at about 11 tonight. I've got his temporary cage set up in the living room, tucked away from any drafts and a light over the cage because the corner is a bit dark. I'm working on adding barriers to the cage in the hog room for when he's finished with his quarantine.

I feel so bad for the girl that's been watching him for the last month. She just adores him, but knows she can't keep him. She's spent probably $200 on him since her sister dropped him off, but she doesn't want a cent back - she just wants regular updates to know he's okay. To make things easier on her, I offered her a standing invitation to visit him whenever she's in Edmonton.

Chance arrived at about midnight last night. He was rather frightened last night, but he felt secure enough to play on the floor for a bit. He's very small and so very cute.

This morning, I woke up to find that Chance is one of those hedgehogs. He ignored the wheel in favor of tipping his bowl - which, coincidentally, was advertised as "spill proof". He was huddled underneath his liner in a corner of his cage, as far away from the puddle as he could. Silly boy.

So I put him on the floor to play while I gave him fresh bedding and a quick lecture. He ignored me and decided to go for a jaunt around the apartment. I've never seen a hedgehog move quite as fast as he did, and he's absolutely fearless. In 10 minutes, he'd done a full perimeter check of the apartment, ventured into the bathroom, my bedroom and living room. He flirted with his reflection for a bit, crawled over the computer powerbar that was placed so inconveniently in his way, and paused to annoint over a Adam's dirty sock. Unlike the other hedgehogs, he has absolutely NO hesitation in crossing over from lino to carpet - he just goes full speed right onto it and continues on his way.

He seems to like being near people, which is great considering how he ended up with me in the first place. I sat on the floor beside him and he didn't stray too far. He likes being stroked and he seems to really love being talked to. Trying to catch him when he's not ready to be caught is a bit of a chore... it took me a few minutes to round him up and put him back in his cage. He just kept running away from me, ducking and veering at the last moment and beelining between my feet. He's a quick one.

I'm so happy to hear that he's doing so well considering all he's been through. What a great little guy! Pictures please! :heart3:

The little man is camera shy. Horribly camera shy. lol.

This morning, I woke up to find his beanie baby puppy on his wheel, the blanket soaking wet because he left it in his bowl, and the little prince curled up in the corner. The puppy is bigger than he is, so I'm still trying to figure out how he managed to lift it onto the wheel.

He is gorgeous and sounds like a real character.

He sounds like Joey. Joe still hasn't figured out what a wheel is for yet and still has great fascination with his water bowl. At least he has quit dumping it but often feels his hedgie bag should be in it.

Oh my.
I couldnt imagin hurting a poor little hedgie.
Thoes people are horriable people.
someone should press charges of animal abuse.
or could they?

He is just a sweet little guy and sounds so funny! I am so glad you have him, they obviously did not deserve such a great hog.

He is just a complete sweet heart. I love him so much already. I'm also thrilled that he's a tuber - the other three want no part of it.

Back