Leaving

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperblue8

I already asked about this a few months ago but thought i would get some more opinions on the matter as it still worries me.. In a few days I am moving to uni halls, this leaves my near 80 year old dad to care for my chins daily needs. He will only be doing food water and hay and giving him a scratch but will not let him out of the cage. I have hired a pet sitter to come once a week to let my chin out for a run for an hour and to clean the cage but I feel like he will be extremely lonely on his own almost all day and I know my dad will not spend more than about 10 secs each evening... Is there anything I can do to make him feel less lonely? Leave a radio on maybe? I just built a very large extension on to the side of his cage, made sure he can get plenty of exercise and bought him lots of toys but I'm not sure what else to do.. IMG20130907_001.jpg

Its not so much the out of cage time that I'm worried about and more the being alone almost all day and night....

He will adjust just fine. He doesn't need attention all the time and play times. Many owners and breeders don't do that anyway. I would error on the safe side and just have them feed and water and not do play time. I have heard so many horror stories of chins getting hurt, lost or even killed by pet sitters.

Maybe you should get him a little friend so he has someone to bounce around with at night and isn't so lonely

I would if I were sure they would get along but I leave in a few days which is not long enough to introduce them properly so its not really worth the risk. Think I will just have to see how he copes, perhaps over a long holiday I will get a friend for him. v:)

Do you have a cuddle buddy for your chin? My chin is just fine being a single chin. We've left her for a couple weeks at a time, and she was fine without the constant companionship. New chew toys would be a fun idea, a chin buddy, and I got my chin a flying saucer before we left so she had a way to exercise since she wasn't getting out of cage time. When you get back home, provide your chin with some extra tlc and all will be forgiven. :)

Definitely a radio with volume down low. I actually leave my TV on for my chins ALL the time!!! My rancher buddy tunes his to an all talk format so they hear human voices in the chin barn.

If you don't have a wheel, now would be an excellent opportunity to add one since he won't get play time while you're gone. I agree that he should not be let out by the pet sitter. It would be heartbreaking should something go wrong. She could put him in his travel cage or a cat carrier while she cleans.

I wouldn't add a friend when you're home for only a short break. It can take more than a couple of weeks to get them introduced. A cuddle buddy would be great.

Good luck at school!!!

Last edited:
Back