Keeping cool

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperblue8

I'm just curious as to how you all keep your chins cool in the summer? I have a portable air conditioner usually but it broke down a couple of days ago when it was really hot, had to rush out and buy another. So what do you have as a back up? Ice bottles? or do any of you actually keep a backup A/C? I feel as though I should have some kind of backup in case it happens again... :D

I usually buy a couple off of CL and keep them in the attic for emergencies. This year I got an 8000 BTU for $50.00. Came in the original box, looks like brand new, works like a champ. Every two years I just replace the a/c in the chin barn and room with a new one anyway. I have a lot of chins, which means a lot of dust and fuzz. That tends to kill their longevity. Air conditioners aren't that expensive so to get one every couple years is worth the peace of mind for me that I won't come home from work to a barn full of dead or dying chins.

I usually end up buying a new one every 2 year as well. I currently have 2 new ones. The dust and hair are killer on the ac's. I wish I could find a way to limit the amount it sucks in. So far no luck there.

I was buying used one for back up as well, but I often found the used ones didn't worked very well, or as well as I liked, so I just bought 2 new ones. My chins room has 2 windows so there is one in each window, in case one craps out I can just switch the other on.

I have a window unit for my chins with 2 spares elsewhere in my apt. I will move my ac unit from my bedroom back for the chins if needed for the chins.

I have A/C but Bubs likes to have a little "cold pack" in his cage too, so we put an ice bottle or ice pack in a sock and put it in his hidey hole. He likes snuggling up to it and the sock keeps the condensation from getting him wet. He especially loves the cold packs after playtime when he's all flushed from running around.

Back