Hi from Winston-Salem, North Carolina

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricaWieser

Hi,

My name is Erica, and I'm a chinchilla breeder in Winston-Salem, North Carolina. I am working with the homo-beige color right now. I like how they look like teddy bear hamsters, but have a much longer lifespan. Chinchillas originally interested me because they live so long. My friend in college had a pet rat that she bonded to her but after about two years it died of old age :( I couldn't imagine going through that over and over so frequently. Thankfully Fifel, my buddy chinchilla who recognizes specifically me and will run forward when I enter the room and jump up on a platform if I click at it, has an expected 13-ish years of life left. That's the great thing about chinchis; they're really pets, and you can open your heart to them just like a dog or cat.

I have a website, http://winstonsalemnorthcarolinachinchillas.webs.com/
where I post pictures of for-sale kits when they are born. I'm breeding for the homo-beige color right now, so my breeding stud Bambi is a hetero beige and his ladies Snowy and Raal are hetero beige. Daisy and Fluffernutter are homo-beige females. (All of these chinchillas are unrelated.) I also have Fifel, my genotypically gray-white male, in mating with two standard gray females. He seems to like that ^_^

Other facts about me:
I am a Ph.D student studying heart disease and I have a bachelor's degree in chemical engineering. I breed freshwater and saltwater fish (gold heterandria formosa, a solid white strain of guppies I selected for, and synchiropus splendidus), worm food cultures for those fish, and grow aquatic plants. I like animals; they a relaxing to watch play after a long day of work. Sometimes I sit in front of the guppy tank for an hour, watching them all swim around interacting with one another. Chinchillas are the same way; let one of the cage doors open and they'll run around the room bouncing off walls. It's pretty impressive how they'll run straight at a wall at full speed and at the last second turn and kick off of it. They're so cute and after you earn their trust they are so very soft to pet ^_^

Hello and welcome!

Glad you're here, this forum will give you a TON of information and helpfu advice.

I noticed you said your feed right now is from Wal-Mart. There's also some other info on your page that you may need to take a look at, as it's not really correct. (For example, feed raisins will not make them die around age 7...Raisins are not tied to age, but tied mostly to what they do to the digestive system.)

Welcome :)

Your chins are quite cute, what lines are they from?

A note on the pellets: just because the ingredients are similar does not mean they are of the same quality. The hardness of the pellet, the ratio of ingredients, etc. can all make a big difference. Mazuri and Oxbow (along with feeds like Tradition, Alderpark Milled Pellets, etc.) are highly recommended because they do not skimp in any of these areas and are developed for chins.
Your treat section also raises quite a few red flags. I think your enthusiasm is great, but I also think the learning curve for breeding chins is pretty big and is a ongoing learning process. This site is in general a great place to learn some tips so that you can breed strong healthy chins for years to come.

Edit: Looking through the pics again I noticed you have a green plastic small flying saucer in one of the cages...

Last edited:
Back