Bald patch on tail

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hyperblue8

My chinchilla has developed a bald patch on the base of his tail. At first I thought this was a fur slip but it has progressed. I don't think he's fur biting as he has a tremendously large cage with lots of toys and does get time out of his cage each week. The skin appears to be in perfect condition, not flaky, inflamed, or sore... It has been gradually getting bigger over the last few months, I've made a vet appointment just wondered if anyone has any ideas what it could be? Nutritional deficiency of some kind???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    94.7 KB
This is a pretty common place for chins to chew on themselves. Sometimes it can indicate that they are in pain, but usually it's just something they do. I've seen chins chew themselves or have others chew them on the tail right near the base or down the top of the tail, or even more of the fur. I've had chins that seem to trim the fur on their own tails or the tails of others, as strange as that sounds.

I have an older female, she's 15 now. She decided one day after never fur chewing or anything that she wanted to chew all the fur off of her tail, just off her tail. She's not a very anxious chin, and she's always chewing on toys and playing with her friend...it makes no sense except that she started chewing one day and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I think that with your chinchilla it's a behavioral issue. I don't think there's much you can do. The only thing that anyone can do to help this type of problem is to provide more toys and more things to keep the chin busy. I know that it can be caused by stress, or appear to be caused by nothing at all. I had a young male that did it for a few months last year and then he stopped chewing at all.

As far as I know this type of chewing doesn't at all appear to be caused by nutritional deficiency. When chins chew on their coats, it can definitely be from improper diet. For some reason just chewing on the tail is usually different. The chin can be very healthy, be completely happy and still chew off that little strip of fur off the top of the tail.

I wonder if the vet will have more insight for you. How has your chin been behaving recently? Has he been eating? Does everything but this seem to be normal?

I had one who chewed his cage mates tail bald, and I mean bald like a rats tail. Tail hair must taste good.

This is a pretty common place for chins to chew on themselves. Sometimes it can indicate that they are in pain, but usually it's just something they do. I've seen chins chew themselves or have others chew them on the tail right near the base or down the top of the tail, or even more of the fur. I've had chins that seem to trim the fur on their own tails or the tails of others, as strange as that sounds.

I have an older female, she's 15 now. She decided one day after never fur chewing or anything that she wanted to chew all the fur off of her tail, just off her tail. She's not a very anxious chin, and she's always chewing on toys and playing with her friend...it makes no sense except that she started chewing one day and really enjoyed it.

Unfortunately, I think that with your chinchilla it's a behavioral issue. I don't think there's much you can do. The only thing that anyone can do to help this type of problem is to provide more toys and more things to keep the chin busy. I know that it can be caused by stress, or appear to be caused by nothing at all. I had a young male that did it for a few months last year and then he stopped chewing at all.

As far as I know this type of chewing doesn't at all appear to be caused by nutritional deficiency. When chins chew on their coats, it can definitely be from improper diet. For some reason just chewing on the tail is usually different. The chin can be very healthy, be completely happy and still chew off that little strip of fur off the top of the tail.

I wonder if the vet will have more insight for you. How has your chin been behaving recently? Has he been eating? Does everything but this seem to be normal?

I see, I will ty putting more toys in for the time being, his vet appointment isnt for a couple of weeks as it doesnt appear to be in any way urgent. Behaviour wise he is acting as normally, bouncing of walls, climbing on me etc. I suppose I will just have to wait and see.

Thanks

hehe tasty tail hair! Sorry, that made me giggle. Anara's tail is shiny smooth like she waxed it, but not one other bit of fur on her body has been touched. Chinchillas...

Keep an eye on him for sure. It may end up being temporary. I'm glad that he's acting like a normal chin.

Back