Chinchilla and Bunny?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

k.wick

My brother bought a rabbit a few months ago and he keeps suggesting that, if introduced carefully, my calm and passive chinchilla Marshmallow could become a companion for his rabbit when they are out for playtime. My two chinchillas do not get along and although one appears perfectly content to live in solitude, Marshmallow often acts lonely and so I think a friendship may be good for her. However, thus far there has been strictly zero contact between the rabbit and chinchilla; I do not allow the rabbit in any areas of the house my chins ever come in contact with. This has mainly been because I am fearful of them contracting Pasteurella, which I know rabbits are prone to carry.

Anyways, my questions are:
1. How contagious is pasteurella, after all? As in, can the rabbit be allowed into the chinchillas' playroom if they are not currently inside of it? If the rabbit did carry pasteurella, how long would the objects it comes in contact with be contaminated?
2. How likely is the rabbit to carry the disease? And if the rabbit did test negative for pasteurella, would it be safe for me to introduce him to my chinchilla? They would only ever be out together during playtime and they would never share food.

Sorry, this is a lot. Thanks in advance for the advice!

Chin can kill rabbit, rabbit can kill chin-since chins can't even deal with their own species, adding a new species to mingle with is a recipe for disaster-that and the fact that pasteurella is fatal in chins and a really nasty way to die, I would tell your brother to get lost ( actually I would tell your brother to do something to himself that is anatomically impossible).

Dawn- on the lines of pasteurella (as I get a LOT of rabbit owners that want to buy chins)...is there a way to test for it with accuracy? On a different note, REALLY hope you're not a member of some of the FB chin pages...man the stupidity is RAMPANT! Picture after picture of chins with dogs/cats/ferrets/rabbits...small children...the list goes on and on. So many that I quit mentioning it because the people on the pages...a lot of the people operating the pages...just don't care about the risk. This is why I say a lot of the time, a chinchilla from a GOOD breeder is better adjusted than one from a pet home. Pet people think EVERYTHING is "cute"...

To the OP, no. It's dangerous for both, more dangerous for your chinchilla no matter how slowly you introduce them.

The problem with testing for pasteurella is this:

Diagnostics

In addition to signs reported by the caregiver, the vet will take the bunny’s temperature, determine any weight loss, and note the texture and color of the mucous membranes and of any discharge. Dried pus (which may look like wax) may need to be removed from the ears. Listening to the heart and lungs will determine whether abnormal respiratory sounds are heard during inhalation or exhalation.

A definitive determination of cause cannot be made solely on the presenting signs of disease. The vet may recommend bacterial culture and bloodwork (CBC, chemistry, bacterial/viral disease screening), which can indicate problems such as liver or kidney disease, metabolic problems, infection or inflammation, anemia, or electrolyte imbalance. Radiography (X-rays), ultrasound, CT scans, or MRIs may also be used.

Culture and Sensitivity, PCR, and Serological Tests

A culture and sensitivity test can help a vet determine if the infectious agent is Pasteurella. However, there are difficulties with this test. Sedation will most likely be required, and it can be difficult (sometimes impossible) to obtain a bacteria sample. The bacteria may be far back into the nasal passage, sometimes resulting in a false negative. In addition, P. multocida does not survive well outside the host and may not grow in the lab; or if the culture is positive for the bacterium, it may not be possible to determine the strain. Despite these apparent drawbacks, a veterinarian experienced in treating rabbits will provide the best advice for your particular bunny.

Are there alternatives? Dr. Meredith discusses two additional tests:

A PCR (polymerase chain reaction) test accurately detects the presence of P. multocida DNA in a sample. This can be very useful as it gives an accurate indication that P. multocida is present in an active infection. It also has the advantage of being able to be used on both live and dead bacteria.

Serological tests look for the presence in the blood of antibodies against P. multocida. However, these can be difficult to interpret as many rabbits will have been exposed to Pasteurella and have antibodies, but the bacteria may not be the cause of the disease. Additionally, serology results often take weeks to obtain.

Back