Science Selective Chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohhnyBishop

Hi All,
I hope you are doing well.
Bulk of food my chinchilla eat is actually Science Selective Chinchilla. I would say it's 65-70% of the pellet they eat.
The rest is Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe.
I have noticed that from last year the price of Science Selective has ballooned by about 30% from £4.3 to £5.70 per 1.5kg bag.
Anything that is below £4 per bag and it's sold in most pet stores is junk.
What are your other recommendations?
I don't necessary want to sacrifice for quality but maybe buying something in bigger bags makes more sense.
I reckon most top brands have already adjusted their prices for inflation.
Thank you

The top brands for chinchillas specific food are Science Selective, Oxbow, and Mazuri. The other option that tends to be cheaper and "close enough" is going with a good quality rabbit food, which is what larger breeders tend to do. I do notice the price increase on the Oxbow too, which is what I feed, there really isn't going to be any way around everything costing more now a days.

right so I can switch to bigger bags of pellet for rabbits but they all adjusted for inflation. Too bad they don't sell chinchilla pellet in bigger bags e.g. 5 or 10kg.
Do you know of any good rabbit brands?

I don't know if you can get them over in the UK but I know Oxbow comes in 3lb (1.4kg), 10lb (4.5kg), 25lb (11.3 kg) and 50lb (22.7kg) bags, and Mazuri comes in 2.5lb (1.1kg) and 25lb (11.3kg) bags. I'm not sure about Science Selective though, I think it only comes in the one size.

As for rabbit food I'm not sure what is currently recommend as being ok to feed. I think Purina show rabbit food might still be considered ok, but not sure. I know brands do change formulas from time to time, both to save costs on production and to make it better for the specific animal it's intended for. So going with a rabbit food you will need to make sure it's still at ok levels of things (correct amount of vitamins and minerals for example) for chinchillas not just rabbits, and doesn't contain anything that is ok for rabbits but not good for chinchillas.

I don't know if you can get them over in the UK but I know Oxbow comes in 3lb (1.4kg), 10lb (4.5kg), 25lb (11.3 kg) and 50lb (22.7kg) bags, and Mazuri comes in 2.5lb (1.1kg) and 25lb (11.3kg) bags. I'm not sure about Science Selective though, I think it only comes in the one size.

As for rabbit food I'm not sure what is currently recommend as being ok to feed. I think Purina show rabbit food might still be considered ok, but not sure. I know brands do change formulas from time to time, both to save costs on production and to make it better for the specific animal it's intended for. So going with a rabbit food you will need to make sure it's still at ok levels of things (correct amount of vitamins and minerals for example) for chinchillas not just rabbits, and doesn't contain anything that is ok for rabbits but not good for chinchillas.
I do buy Oxbow in a 4.5kg bag however Mazuri is not available in UK. It looks like Oxbow can be substituted with Charnwood as they look very similar.
People say I should avoid rabbit pellet but you are right I could get away as the breeders do as long as I do enough of research and comparison.
What I hear Science Selective is the best of all.

Back