PVC Tube House

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 18287

fern6.png

As seen here, her favorite hide/perch/nap zone is this (new) pvc elbow pipe that we got for her while she couldn't have a wood house. Her ring worm is completely gone, so she now has lots more (new) wood in her cage including a hut. She must be like me, a creature of habit... she hasn't used it at all. Still prefers her pipe. I stuffed it with hay, she just dragged it out to chew on. She does like to chew on the roof however, so it stays. Are there any problems known with the pvc pipe? So far, no chew marks on that at all. Just curious.

The water grade PVC pipes (like the white one you have) are ok, so long as the chin doesn't chew on it. Be careful with any other PVC though since it can commonly contains chemicals. PVC is really the only ok "plastic" since even if they do chew on it they can't chew large pieces off, so you can remove it or cover it with fleece if you notice any chewing.

Just one thing about that little hut, those ones are sometimes too small for some chins. I commonly see people use those little Kaytee huts as hay holders rather then sleeping huts. I know my guy likes to stretch out in his house sometimes and a little hut like that he wouldn't be able to. So even though I only have one chin now (I had two until his brother pass a couple years ago) I still use the big XL huts like this one

Kaytee Woodland Get-A-Way Extra Large

Thanks! As soon as chew marks show up, I plan to remove it, much to her dismay. I don’t like to take any unnecessary risk. Hubby said he read that it was safe as an alternative house, and bought it for her.

Her lack of interest in the wood hut, may be due to size… I believe she could fit in it now, but honestly I don’t know for sure. I doubt as a full grown girl, she will. When do they reach their full grown size? She is definitely growing!

And, so very sorry for the loss of your sweet little one. 😔

Last edited:
Since she like the pipe you can also look into getting a metal pipe instead, like you would use for air duct work, then you don't need to worry about chewing it. I've had a pvc pipe in the cage for many years without any issue, most chins don't seem to bother trying to eat it beyond a test nibble, but individual chins do vary.

Most chins are full grown around a year old, but similar to a puppy or kitten, chins do the most growing in the first 6 months. Some mutations, like ebonies for example, take up to about 2 years to reach full size though.

So far, no hint of a nibble on the pvc. I’m glad, because she seems so at home there. She seems to prefer grass ball chews the most, but also has a fondness for the roof of her wooden hut, so it seems to provide some form of usage. ;)

Ah. That’s good to know, thanks. She is definitely growing! She’s a lot less jumpy when we pet her and attempt to get our hands under her for a pickup. I lifted her once, but she realized quickly her feet were an inch off the floor and she bolted. 😆

Thank you so much for the information. =)

Back