Different wood (lumber) types

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mittens, Ph.D.

Hi folks!

I thought I should post this info about lumber, as I remember seeing this question come up several times on the old board.

Pine vs Spruce vs Fir
They're not the same wood. If you go to a lumber store, expect the people to know the difference. They should be able to tell you what the species of tree the lumber came from.

Look for a stamp (usually a black stamp) on each piece of lumber. It should say something like "PP" or "LP" or "WP" or "JP" or "SYP" (ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, white pine, jack pine, southern yellow pine, etc). An example of the stamp is at the end of http://www.canfor.com/_resources/products/SYP_fingerJoint.pdf
You can always call the name of the manufacturer on the stamp and ask what the species acronym stands for. That's the best way to know what you're buying.

*Caution* Stamps that say "SPF" mean a mix of spruce, pine and fir. This is an extrememly common mix as it's used in housing construction. You can not be guaranteed what the species of tree the board came from if you buy from this mix. Always double check what you're buying.

And I've come across home building centres that now sell "Spruce Pine" mixes, and don't sell just pine anymore. So be careful.

Aspen
Known as trembling aspen or (white) poplar. There are other types of poplar, but this one seems to be the only lumber species.

Remember to look for the letters KD (Kiln Dried) on the stamp. The number beside the KD is the moisture content of the wood. HT means Heat Treated which is a-ok too! Stay away from chemically or pressure treated wood.

Back