Preemie-day 4

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcr

I had two litters of kits born here last Saturday and both litters had a premature kit from the second horn. One didn't make it through the day but this little guy is feisty and I am slightly optimist now that he's still hanging in there on day 4. His eyes aren't open yet but he gets around as well as his bigger brother. He's only 34 grams.

Here's some pics, sorry they are blurry I had my camera on macro.

X290916091.jpg

X290916092.jpg

X290916093.jpg

X290916094.jpg

You might want to attempt to get those eyes open. I've been told by experienced ranchers, the longer they are closed, the higher risk for infection.

He is a cutie and obviously a scrapper. I hope he makes it for you.

I just use Q-tips and warm water. Very slightly dampen the Q-tip, squeeze off the excess water, gently daub the eyes with the Q-tip. Once it's damp, very gently use your thumb and forefinger to work at the eyelids to separate them. You may have to do it several times.

I was told by someone once to just let them go, they will open on their own. After the fifth day, I finally caved and worked the eyes open. When I did, all kinds of pus and nastiness spilled out and it was just a little baby, so treating it was not fun. I spoke to a couple ranchers after that, and they said next time, get the eyes open.

I second getting the eyes open. I always make sure the eyes are open when I find them and if not, I grab some warm water and Q-Tips.

Congratulations - very cute!
I, too, have had a lot of success, once you get their eyes open, especially if they're over 30 grams!
Good luck with him!!

Very cute, I hope he thrives for you! I too always open the eyes.

Hello. I know this thread is old, but I need some help. I have a kitten that was born with her eyes closed. It's been a few days already. The problem is that her eyelids don't appear normal. It's like the space between them is TOO small when compared to a normal eyed. Tried to open them on the first and second day, but I took a peak inside and couldn't see an eyeball. Is it possible that she was born without eyes?? I check every day to see if they are open, but they aren't. And I can't seem to be able to open them, because the distance from 1 corner of the eye to the other is sooo small. I'm getting worried, even though she's very active, and nursing and gaining weight (she's not even the smallest of the 3).

Back