Lets see those cages!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where did you get the wire blocks like sasha has?
I am assuming there custom.

Cimredopyh, I like your setups, especially your old one, were your hedgehogs actually able to climb those tubes? Or is it even.... "obsolete" because I wanna immitate that :)

AlbertGirl: What is the heating lamp and thermostat called? Did they come together or did you buy them seperately? Where did you get them?

hey sasha,
how did you get the "lid" part on your cage to work? and what do you use to cover the bottom with?

i'm interested in building a cage for annie like that. :)

What is in that kleenex box in the ferret nation cage? Some really neat cages....give me some great ideas as to what I can put in the cage......basicly it looks like anything .

Ziggy's C&C cage

20090306_709-2.jpg

20090306_698-2.jpg

So yeah...it's a C&C cage (about 54" x 33"), but instead of cubes I used the panels from 2 Midwest Small Pet Playpens and connected them with zip-ties. The panels are 15" high, and the coroplast walls are 8" high. I have two closetmaid shelves that sit on top for the lid (bought one long shelf and the people at Home Depot cut it to size for me). There is a big UV strip light on top, and two 150w heat emitters that are hooked up to a Zilla 1000w Temp Controller. On the bottom are two pieces of fleece (one on top of the other) that I just cut to size. I have paper towels under the wheel (which so far seems to be the only place he goes potty), and fleece strips in all the hiding places. There is also a marble tile in one corner in case he wants a cool surface to lay on.

I decided not to wash the wheel before taking the picture so it would accurately reflect what the cage looks like when I get up in the morning...

Playpen:
http://www.petco.com/product/13911/Midwest-Small-Pet-Playpens.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch

ClosetMaid Shelves:
http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs...langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100157320

Temp Controller:
http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=2533

I'm very curious about the wheel, how does it work? It looks like a UFO! Excuse my stupidity...

Well, it's called a Flying Saucer, and it's one of my favorite wheels, it works great.

My Ziggy loves his Flying Saucer and it is super-easy to clean. Plus, it comes in cool colors like lime green, blue, and purple...LOL! It has two pieces: the disk and the base. The disk just sets on the base, so it is really easy to remove for cleaning...just lift it up. I soak the disk part for 5-10 minutes in the sink every morning, and it practically cleans itself!

Now, I'm not sure if it's because Ziggy really gets going or what, but it does fling a LITTLE bit of poop onto the side of the cage on occasion. Luckily he has an 8" high coroplast wall that catches it and makes it super-easy to just wipe clean. But, it is something that should probably be considered.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3155602

2009-03-10_076-2.jpg

Is that a paper towel you're using under the flying saucer wheel? And also, what is that you're holding it in?

Quill'd, that is a paper towel under the wheel, and under that is a plastic lid from Ikea. (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60130131)

Every morning I take out the wheel, lid, and the icky paper towel. I wash the wheel and lid, then put them back in the cage with a fresh paper towel. Since this is the only place he goes potty, the lid catches everything and keeps the liner clean (so I only have to do a liner change about every 4-5 days.)

Hope that helps! :)

Wow, I don't know why I didn't think of that, it's a great idea...

Some really nice setups here. My is quite small to be honest, I'm a bit ashamed... But when I'll find a new job, I plan on upgrading Litchi's cage and I hope I'll be able to do in in my future (smaller) appartment. Then I'll post some pics!

well heres my cage! its a cell phone picture so it isnt the greatest but pretty much its a c&c that is 2 grids by 4 grids. the front is open but covered with fleece so that my little prickly pals dont fall out. i have 2 girls in the top cage and one male in the bottom one, with storage underneath. i used a total of 3 boxes of cubes.

Attachments

• p_00286.jpg
    p_00286.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 359
well heres my cage! its a cell phone picture so it isnt the greatest but pretty much its a c&c that is 2 grids by 4 grids. the front is open but covered with fleece so that my little prickly pals dont fall out. i have 2 girls in the top cage and one male in the bottom one, with storage underneath. i used a total of 3 boxes of cubes.

Everyone has such great cages. I really wish that getting mine potty trained would have worked out better so i could do the C&C cage(that i already bought supplies for) but they just dont get it & my poor washing machine cannot handle washing out pee, poo, & quills, even after a good shaking.. Sadly, i had to switch back to my trusty rubbermaid containers & pine shavings.

Munch, thats a very cute cage, however, my masterminds would figure out a way to get out of that for sure! lol

you know i thought mine would too but they seem content inside!

I just wanted to say you guys have some very unique and interesting cages! And as soon as the Heg's are legal in cali I will have a few... but I assume Ill have to wait a LONG time *sigh*

I use puppy pads in my hedies cage.
I felt it was simpler than washing a lot of fabric everyday and he has a fleece blanket that he sleeps in.
I have been told not to use the puppy pads though, does anyone know if it is ok to continue using them.
If not why?
Thanks

Back