Chinchilla peeing everywhere

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello, lately my chinchillas have stopped using their litter boxes and decided to pee all over my carpets during play time. I use a white vinegar and distilled water solution to clean it up but it still smells like chin pee. I was just wondering if anyone had any solutions as to getting the smell out of my room. Also, I've heard that rat pee can have hazardous effects on one's health and I was wondering if chinchilla pee could have the same effects. Thanks!

You can try using an enzyme cleaner like Natures Miracle, just be sure to give it time and soak the area enough to get down as deep as the pee got. It can take up to 2 weeks for it to totally get rid of the pee so if you can try to keep the chin away from that area while it does it's job.

I don't think chin pee is hazardous, beyond the ammonia like all animal pee. Rats on the other hand can carry diseases (more likely in wild rats) which they can spread everywhere they pee and poop, as far as I know chins don't carry any diseases.

Back