Father and Son

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinGrandma

We found that our Chinchilla had a baby 5 days ago. We didn't know she was pregnant. We want to keep the baby (boys) and have the Dad and baby neutered so we can keep the the 3 of them together. I am reading that even if we neuter the males we cannot leave them with the Mom because males will fight. I don't want to keep them separated because I see how much the Mom and Dad as missing each other while the baby is with the Mom. So is there anything I can do to be able to keep the family together?

Thank you for any information.

No. Your best option is to reunite father and son after the baby weans. Keep the boys as a pair and the female by herself. She will be ok as a single chin.
Two males together in a cage with a female is asking for dead chins. Even neutered males will fight.

No. Your best option is to reunite father and son after the baby weans. Keep the boys as a pair and the female by herself. She will be ok as a single chin.
Two males together in a cage with a female is asking for dead chins. Even neutered males will fight.

I agree with Narcissus.

Agreed.

In addition, if you didn't no about the baby until after he was born then there is a decent chance that your female is already pregnant again. It can happen that fast. - The father and mother need to be separated. When the baby is old/big enough to be weened, he should go with the father if they get along.

I had the same issue many years back. I had a male and female together. Didn't no about the baby until after he was born. I had to separate the father, and eventually the son when he was weened. However 3 months later she gave birth again, this time to a pair of girls. So now they all have company in there cages.

Back