should I buy her

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaykay79

Hi im currently looking at at buying a trio of of bonded chins. But ive been told the female doesn't carry to term and has been pregnant twice.

She apparently lays on her side and gives up buy bu time kits are born they are dead.

I know it may be be possible to assist in delivery but was wondering if this can be be normal or should I stay away

If she's having stillborns, I would not breed her again. Like Pookinaround said, don't breed her. She'll probably be fine as a pet, but if she has a history of miscarrying or having stillborns she probably should be retired by now.

I will say that whoever is selling this animal is at least being honest with you. If you want a good breeding animal there are PLENTY of others. If you want a pet then I would say go for it and just separate the male. You are not being mean by splitting them up and they will be just fine separated. You would be doing what is best for the health of the animals.

thank you

I have 5 other breeding pairs but love a hopeless case. I've personally nursed 3 chins back to health that vets said couldn't be saved but I think on this occasion she'll make just a beautiful pet instead

It's quite likely a female having those problems will one day just fail to pass the offspring and die. Surgery to remove the offspring is risky and you can't keep doing it every litter. Once that happens they are out of breeding anyway. Even if you were willing to do that one time catching an animal in labor and having a knowledgeable vet on hand is difficult due to the time of day they usually give birth. I've camped out on a cot in front of a lot of pens and horse stalls for weeks at a time waiting all night for labor on a first time mom or one with a bad breeding in the past. Even with 24hr on call farm visit vets they occasionally arrived too late.

thank you

Ok you have convinced me of what my gut was saying which is to not breed her

Back