Has anyone used crepe myrtle wood?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lindsey13

We just trimmed up our crepe myrtles and had some good pieces that would make excellent perches but was wondering if anyone had ever used it? I did find it on a safe wood list for chinchillas when I googled it but didn't know if anyone here had personally ever used it and what did you do to it..put it in the oven for so long or what?

Personally I'd be leery of using crepe myrtle wood unless you know for sure that it has never been treated with anything. I treat them annually for work doing pest control because crepe myrtles are very prone to getting white flies and we treat them using a drench which is absorbed through the roots and is then systemically transferred throughout the entire tree. The treatment is supposed to provide year long protection, so that means it should stay in the wood a long time. That being said, if its your own tree and you know its never been treated with anything then you can ignore my warning.

Not sure if the trees had ever been treated before we moved here (have been here 6 years). I think I would rather be safe then sorry and not use it then, thanks for telling me about people treating them because we had never had to treat ours so didn't know white flies were a problem.

Latest posts

Back