Pictures of poop?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tcraighenry

Let me see your pictures of poop!

I'm not so much concerned as kind of fascinated by it. Two chinchillas, identical diets (down to sticks, water and treat nights) and this is what happens.

522888_10150920189889047_560789046_11704600_1755918388_n.jpg

On the left, dainty poop by Cinnamon. On the right MASSIVE poop by Vincenza. Seriously huge. And normal for her. She's never been a dainty pooper. I should have put a nickel down, that's how long they are.

But anyway! I want to see your poop pictures. I've found it kind of hard to get anything to compare it with when I was worried about Cinnamon.

LOL Um, interesting thread.

I'd get you pictures....but my boys are downstairs. I haven't been allowed to go downstairs in over three weeks (Preterm labor).....:/ (YES their being taken care of though, just not by me....Boo)

All the poops I've seen are closer to your 'small' example. :)

The amount of fibre a chin has in its diet can affect poop size. More fibre = bigger poop. Although 2 chinchillas can be on the same diet, they can choose how much they want to eat. For example, my Becky eats pretty even portions of pellets and hay, probably a tad more pellets (around 2-3 tablespoons) than hay and she has poop like your Cinnamon. My Lancy is a hay guzzler, she literally picks up her hay the moment you put it in and demolishes the entire lot everyday (except for the ones she peed on). However, she barely touches her pellets (probably around 1-2 tablespoons only) She has gigantic poop like your Vincenza.

My wheat intolerant chin Kelly thrives solely on hay (various types including alfafa) supplemented by Critical Care and she has the biggest, fattest poop of all :)

That makes a lot of sense! Vincenza loves her hay. She wasn't on it when we got her, the minute we put it in she went nuts.

Cinnamon is starting to eat more of it so her poop is gradually getting longer from what you're saying! :)

This is a interesting thead LOL. My chins poop ususally stays about the same unless its treat day, then she has monsterous poos like your Vincenza does. But on any other day, its small and dainty.

I could get you pictures if you wanted.. ;)

My boys eat mostly hay and sticks, and their poos are never the same size. Zoidbergs are usually smaller, but he drinks twice as much water as Rufus. Rufus eats the entire piece of hay, while Zoidberg will only eat half of each piece and throws it (Rufus usually finishes them). Their poos are small compared to Cinnamon's even. Now you got me wondering why their poo is so small?! I wonder if it's because they eat so much of their own poo? Or maybe because they don't eat pellets often? :hmm:

Cinnamon's were smaller when she was on different food. I think it was Purina? They grew when we switched her to Oxbow!

alright then, I'll get a picture when I let her out in a little while :)

These were from the same day, just a couple hours a part. It's really interesting how it changes with what they eat, at least with my chin.

Before cage cleaning, they are small and her normal size.
Picture145.jpg

After cage cleaning, a few hours later. And after she had a alfalfa hay cube to munch on lol, compared with a small poo to the right.
Picture148.jpg

It's normal for chins to eat there poop sometimes, right?

These were from the same day, just a couple hours a part. It's really interesting how it changes with what they eat, at least with my chin.
The difference you see is not due to what has just been eaten, it's how old the poops are. The ones after cage cleaning are fresh and have not had a chance to dry. It is important to know what is normal for your chin both fresh and dried.

It's normal for chins to eat there poop sometimes, right?
Yes it is. They are coprophagic (poop eaters) and get some vital nutrition from their recycled poop.

Here are Lily's poops when she first came to me. I was hand feeding her because she was producing very few poops after having her leg amputated. She started out with mouse sided poops, then passed the nasty looking thing and then her poops went normal. This wasn't the end of the story though. After 4 weeks of syringe feeding enough for a chin twice her size, she was still losing weight. A trip to the vet showed that Lily had swallowed a surgical staple and needed to have it surgically removed from her stomach lining.
IMG_8878.jpg

This was Sparky's message to his Auntie Claire when he was near the end of his stasis treatment. I had just put him in his carrier and he made this.
DSCN0376-S.jpg

Latest posts

Back