Speech perception

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amy555

International Luffa Mogul
I have been reading some papers on chinchilla speech recognition and cognition, including Patricia Kuhl's work, and I wondered if anyone here had succeeded in conditioning a chinchilla to respond to certain words?

Mine definitely can distinguish sounds pertinent to them, but it would be nice if I could teach them to learn their individual names and to respond.

Rhino knows a few words, most of the time, lol.

'gentle' means don't groom momma so rough.
'come on' means it's time to come out for playtime.
'no no' means stop chewing on things he isn't supposed to be chewing.
'see mommy' means he should come to me.
'cage' means he is to go back in his cage.

i'd say he responds exactly as i want him to more than 3/4 of the time i say the above words, so i figure he's catching on. he responds to his name as well, by directing his attention to me when i say it, and if i say a word that is close but not his name, he'll not respond quite the same.

Guss, who's only been here a week, is already catching on somewhat to 'gentle' and 'see mommy'.

word responses

all of my chins in my herd know their names..when I call their name they come to me...I am still working on others though...Like during playtime since most of them dont like being handled I use the dust bath at the end..I put in on the floor tell whoever is out to come and get in the dust house and usually do..repetition is key to training any animal...

I think Trixie recognises the difference between my voice and my husband..based on how she responds to us. I am the one taking her out for playtime. She will respond to "Go out" and "Home now" When I say "go out: she will hop up by the door on the top level of her cage, as thay is where I will place the carrier for her to hop in to. When I say "Home now" she will run to her carrier and hop in (assuming she has not already gone there on her own, to be taken home)
Also, while not as often, I will say "go for a spin" while she is out and she will run to her dust bath

there must be something pretty intense with their hearing, because when i did a journal article subject search for "chinchilla" at work (library), i ended up with more than half being hearing/auditory journals, and quite a few articles from a select few music journals.

I'm not too sure what my chins really understand. They seem to know their name and if say for example, "No, Tribble... " he does respond and stop what he's doing 90% of the time. If I say "Come here" they usually respond when they feel like it. LOL. Not sure if they respond to my actual voice or the tone behind it. If I am telling them to stop something the tone is much different than if I say, "Come here little one..". It is definitely a very interesting area of research!

Most definitely! I actually just shared this list with a friend of mine the other day, as she was amazed that my guys knew their names. Personally, I think their retention is a combination of the vowel sound, voice inflection, positive reinforcement, spaced repetition, and high levels of empathy.

Since you want to start by teaching them their names, I would insert their name before everything you say to them, using as many voice inflections as possible. The variety of inflections will ensure that they don't have a positive or negative connotation associated with the word. All 4 of mine responded readily to their names within a month of 'training'.

The response rates listed are only valid when it's just them and I, as other people in the room have a huge effect on their comfort levels, and consequently, their willingness to respond to commands.

Here's the breakdown:

4/4 Chins

-Name and various Nicknames - 100% Response
-'Wanna [Treat/Stick/Dust bath/Come out?]' - 100% Response - 'Wanna' is what does it. All else is irrelevant.
-Cluck twice - 100% Response - This is the only 'no' sound that worked with all 4. They stop whatever they're doing, look at me, and stand at attention. It's hysterical... and incredibly helpful!
-'Good Girl/Boy!' - 100% Response - 3/4 Stand up straight and look very proud of themselves. The other alternates between that and popcorning.
-'Get down' and 'down' - 95% Response
-'Get out' and 'out' - 95% Response
-'Go Home' - 80% Response - If they don't fully go in, they'll run up to the door immediately and run away, which at least proves comprehension...and stubbornness!
-'Belly check!' - 75% Response - 2/4 HATE their bellies touched!!! When I started announcing before touching, they stayed still more readily, begrudgingly.

3/4

-'[Name] where ARE you?' - 95% Response - They either come out of hiding immediately, hit my vertical blinds to make a ton of noise, or wall surf so that I know where they're hiding. Responses vary by chin.
-'Step up' - 90% Response
-'I love you' - 80% Response - I get a single love nibble on my nail as a response;
-'Waaaait' - 80% Response - When balancing on my shoulder.
-'[Name] No!' - 50% Response - Hence the need for the clucking sound.

2/4

-'You okay?' - 90% Response - One nibble for yes, Shake of the head and back-up for no. Only works for those who have been sick at some point.
-'Don't eat my [Nails/Hair/Carpet/Couch/Table/etc.]!' - 90% response - Only an issue with the girls.
-'RunninRunninRunnin' - 90% Response - They run on the wheel at top speed. Of course, they need to be fully awake to be willing to play.
-'C'mere' - 80% Response - Only the two who were handfed.
-'Upstairs' and 'Downstairs' - 75% Response - Took 2+ years to get this one.
-'Raisin' - 100% response - The adults go completely nuts for 15 minutes when they hear the word. They recall the wrongs of their youth all too well. :))

1/4

-'You excited?!' - 100% Response - Popcorns once. I respond with this. She popcorns again. Sometimes I can drag it out for a few rounds.
-'Find something else to do!' - 100% Response - Nixi's version of 'no'. Probably voice inflection driven.
-'Ow' and 'Gentle' - 95% Response - Only one needs this. Sometimes I mimic the chinchilla 'ow' sound, as she goes into a grooming daze when she nibbles my knuckles.
-'Where's Nixi?' - 75% Response - Maia will run to or look at the area of the room that Nixi's in.
-'Where's Buddha?' - 75% Response - Boji will run to or look at the are of the room that Buddha's in.

Wow, that's great. I guess I just began speaking their language rather than training them on mine. I keck at them if they are playing too rough or nipping at me. I do the happy coo when they are hopping around for playtime. And they respond to a kissy noise for come get a treat, that is if they havent already flipped out over the cereal bag noise. I'll have to practice addressing them with their names so that they know who I'm talking to when one of them needs to cool it.

Speaking their language is a great way to train them! When you keck at them because they're playing too rough, follow that up with "gentle" and another keck. They'll pick up on it when you repeat the process over time and eventually you can just transition to English. Watching their little faces light up when they finally do understand is so rewarding!

Well and judging by your user icon, you even can teach them to read! They must be quite the bookworms, consuming every page.

Oh, most definitely! That's Nixi... she's my prize pupil. I think she's up to a 5th grade reading level at this point! *lol*

there must be something pretty intense with their hearing, because when i did a journal article subject search for "chinchilla" at work (library), i ended up with more than half being hearing/auditory journals, and quite a few articles from a select few music journals.

Chinchilla's hearing is similar to humans, so they are used for a lot of auditory hearing tests.

Wow, that's great. I guess I just began speaking their language rather than training them on mine. I keck at them if they are playing too rough or nipping at me. I do the happy coo when they are hopping around for playtime. And they respond to a kissy noise for come get a treat, that is if they havent already flipped out over the cereal bag noise. I'll have to practice addressing them with their names so that they know who I'm talking to when one of them needs to cool it.

You sound just like me, I keck, chirp, and make the kissy noise for treats. My chins are also conditioned to the sound of the dust jar, I also snap my fingers and say 'No' when they're getting into something. They also know that when I make my bed and start picking clothes off the floor I'm getting ready to let them out. Interesting article, thanks for sharing.

Rocco responds to "playtime." He's learning "raisin" and "no" if he hasn't already figured them out.

Rocco responds to "playtime." He's learning "raisin" and "no" if he hasn't already figured them out.

Chinchillas shouldn't have raisins or fruit of any kind, as their digestive systems can't process the sugar. I fed mine raisins until I learned that one as well! It's a pretty common misconception. Though my chins haven't had any raisins in over a year, the adults will never forget that word. I'm convinced they're akin to chinchilla crack with the ridiculous reactions I get! Instead of raisins, you can give Rocco chinchilla safe woods, a single cheerio, a rose hip, or half a cube of shredded wheat. If you use the search feature at the top, you'll find a ton of options!

I think the only words my boy Sebastian knows are "Bastian" and "NO!" He responds to a kissy sound by touching noses with me. Also, I don't know HOW he knows, but he ALWAYS knows when I'm going to scoop him up for bath/playtime and kacks at me. He wants me to pet him all the time and he doesn't act weird when my hand comes near him normally. I must make a certain voice tone or gesture when I go to do it.

I haven't had my chinchilla for very long, but he's beginning to understand his name I think! When I arrive home from school/work (I'm out a lot with uni and stuff), I'll exclaim "Chester!!" very excitedly as I walk in the room and he runs to the corner of his cage to greet me... as long as he's awake anyway.

my little one is starting to understand calm/sit. When she wants to xD, shes stubborn when its playtime.

Mine all know their names and the basics like treat, dust, no, and where's my baby (to whoever's out). For a while I was trying to get gizmo and Dante to play together. Dante chased gizmo frequently, and gizmo learned Dante's name. If gizmo was out and I started talking to Dante, Gizmo would hide, thinking I was about to let Dante out! Now that I gave up on intros for them, Gizmo doesn't mind me talking to Dante. Beck's not that bright but Gizmo and Dante are pretty smart.

Back