Our cage we made

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cody

A few months ago we found a cage on craigslist for super cheap but it was all wire and a lot of rusty ledges and ramps were in it, so we got it anyways and this is what it came out to be;

2mybxjs.jpg

Just wanted to post up here because I got a ton of ideas from here even though I've never posted, I read these forums all the time lol

We made all the stuff our self except the fleece which we got from http://www.qualitymutationchinchillas.com/home.html and she was super nice to us

We are going to add back splash things around the ledges soon so that the poop quits flinging out all over the floor and we want to make nicer doors for it. We just picked up some food coloring today to try coloring a ledge. Would like to hear opinions and or thoughts on it though (the bottom also has a pull out tray with handles to get the fleece out easy but I have bad aim with the camera)

wow! that looks awesome! do you think the chinchies will chew their way out?? I and I'm sure a lot of other people would love to know how you did this :D

Thanks everyone =]

Linzizzlejo, ours don't seem to bother chewing to much, they have part of a branch on the bottom they chew and we give them apple sticks. But aside from those and the cuddle houses they don't really bother the ledges or the cage itself at all

He didn't mention that those 3 branches are birch that we found one day when hiking! :D
Every time Cody comes on these forums he comes to me with a new idea for a cage addition!
Here's what our cage looked like a little after we got it. We had only made the pull-out tray and removed most of the rust from the wire frame.
5559fl.jpg

just want to double check that you scrubbed, boiled, and baked those birch branches? and that they came from a forest out in the boonies and not an urban area where they may have been sprayed with pesticides?

Of course I did! I did plenty of research on preparing branches long before even coming across the branches. And yes, we found the branches in a natural forest.

Yeah it was a lot of work with the big ones that didn't fit in the stove and we had to use the hot car method. But thankfully it was 115 degrees outside for like 3 weeks straight so it worked out

They always seem to be up to something in there whether it is good or misbehaving lol and thank you =]

Back