What kind of twine fiber should I use?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sunnyastounded

<---Apple Tree Enthusiast
I am constructing apple tree toys and I'm binding them with twine. My problem is I don't know what kind of twine fiber is the safest and best option for chinchillas.

Yes, sisal is also safe, you just would want to be selective of the type you buy, I know lots that's sold at hardware stores smells horrible, so I'm not sure how safe that stuff is.

I watched the TV show "How it's Made" and they showed sisal rope being made. It was sprayed with black oil to keep friction down so it would not catch on fire. That is what you smell so I wouldn't use it.

I would buy the twine from someone who sells toy parts. If you buy your own, you have to make sure it is not oiled, and this may be difficult to verify for sure. An alternative is to buy stainless steel chain to thread the parts onto. Then you never have to replace the chain!

I believe there are some suppliers that sell sisal that is all natural and does NOT have the oil on it. I came across a site when doing research. Don't remember who, but I'm pretty sure it was a bird supply site.

Edit: Just found it http://www.cabirdnerds.com/rs014.html

Last edited:
I don't plan to hang the treats from the twine, so the chain doesn't help me. Is all natural hemp or jute twine safe for chinchillas?

I don't plan to hang the treats from the twine, so the chain doesn't help me. Is all natural hemp or jute twine safe for chinchillas?

I know hemp isn't safe, I'm not sure about jute twine. The twine that I know is safe for chinchillas is coconut, unoiled sisal, and sea grass twine. And I think those are the only ones that are safe.

I know hemp isn't safe, I'm not sure about jute twine. The twine that I know is safe for chinchillas is coconut, unoiled sisal, and sea grass twine. And I think those are the only ones that are safe.

I think manila can be too as long as it's made with vegetable oil and untreated, that's what I usually use, don't know where you can get it in the US but I get it here:
http://www.chinchillas2shop.co.uk/wood_chews.htm

Back