Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Hedgehog Forums > Hedgehog Housing & Supplies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Hedgehog Housing & Supplies Anything to do with the housing & supplies of a hedgie - post it here!

Old 01-25-2011, 01:50 AM United States

Default Flying Saucer for Hedgehog?

i have an 8 month old male. he's currently on the big mesh one (yes i know there bad-- its what he came with).

i was reading up on wheels and it seemed like the flying saucer is a good one. i've seen some of the other "good" wheels, but i'm sorry i can rationalize spending $60 on a wheel. plus, the flying saucer is easy to clean.

i just want to make sure its ok for a hedgehog?
Old 01-25-2011, 07:56 AM Canada
Hooked on Hogs

Hedgehogs: 7

Many owners foresee future joint damage because of the slanted running surface of the flying saucer. Running on it is an unnatural position. That being said, many people use the flying saucer but it hasn't been in use long enough to see any patterns emerging.

By far the best is the Carolina Storm wheel.

You can cover the mesh wheel with craft foam to make a safe running surface.

For all your hedgehogs needs visit
Old 01-25-2011, 03:25 PM Canada
Stuck on Hedgies

Hedgehogs: 7

He may not like the flying saucer, I've had some who won't touch it and only two who seemed to really enjoy it. Bucket wheels are fairly easy to make yourself and even if you buy the bucket from a hardware store and have to buy rollerblade wheels come to about $25-30. You can save more by getting a rollar blade from a second hand store or even asking a sports store repair shop to give you their old wheels and barings.

Otherwise, craft foam as Nanacy suggested works really well too.

A

Mom to Many Quilled Ones
Ella, Tiggy, Huff, Po, Kelen, Cedric, Kipper, Hector and Annabelle, you are always in our thoughts.

Visit our site: http://www.HectorsHedgehogRescue.webs.com
Old 01-25-2011, 04:08 PM United States

Hedgehogs: 2

The Carolina Storm Wheel is definately the BEST!!! I got 2 about a month ago and cleaning is super easy and my hedgehogs love them - I wish I had gotten them earlier :-) I have tried a flying saucer wheel, my male hedgehog only used it if there was no other option and it wasn't as easy to clean as the Storm Wheels are.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:09 PM United States

Hedgehogs: 3

I don't know anything about the other wheels mentioned since I've never used them. But I have a flying saucer wheel for both of my hedgies and they both love it. I hear them running on it for hours at night! It's really easy for them to get on and cleaning it is a breeze. I haven't noticed raw feet or any other health issues from the wheel, so I'd say it's safe.

However, I have only had them for 4ish months and don't know of any personal long-term effects. I'd trust Nancy and some of the other's opinions on the wheels since everyone is very knowledgeable, but know that if you can't find any of the other ones or can't afford/build them, I think the flying saucers are great!
Old 04-18-2011, 12:39 PM United Kingdom

Hedgehogs: 1

I have one hedgie and he loves his flying saucer!!
I have never noticed any problems with his feet or anything and check him regulaly.
It's also silent, which is really good cause he lives in my bedroom with me! the only thing I can hear at night is the pitter-patter of his feet, which is so cute don't mind!
Old 12-25-2011, 03:43 AM United States

smile I saw the saucer my hedgie would ignore it lol but I was wondering is the bucket big

I have a chunky hedgie, I have a smoothe wheel and I thought it was big enough but she can only get one side of her on it. So I was wondering if any of you have a chunky hedgie and have that bucket wheel. I want to know because it's a little pricey at 30. Thanks
Old 04-10-2012, 06:08 PM United Kingdom

Hedgehogs: 1

Hey I have the flying saucer. And my little guy loves it so much so that he has reduced a Silent spinner to what I can only describe as screaming cat noise lol. Any ideas on how to make it silent again would be helpful. But I've not noticed any problems with his fit and if his little climbing escapade onto my shoulder tonight was anything to go by he is doing pretty well with it. And it is so easy to remove and clean