The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Out of curiosity, what is the difference between the different FN models? Such as 142, 141, and 182?

142 is 2 levels , 141 is only 1. 182 is like a 142 only it snaps together without tools whereas the 142 screws together. Pretty sure that's it.

142 is 2 levels , 141 is only 1. 182 is like a 142 only it snaps together without tools whereas the 142 screws together. Pretty sure that's it.

That being said, the 141/142 series is slightly more solidly built/stable. I haven't had a 182, and I have heard a few complaints about it, but I am honestly sure it works just fine. I'm pretty sure it only comes up as unstable when compared to the very stable 141/142, but it should be plenty stable enough for your chin. You can read reviews on it if you want to be sure. :)

I have the 182 and it seems perfectly sound. Of course I've never had the 142 to compare to, but it's quite sturdy.

while i don't have personal experience with either the 142 or 182 series, it could be possible that the bad reviews on stability with the 182 are stemming from the customer not assembling it properly? that's my hunch.

I have the 182 and it seems perfectly sound. Of course I've never had the 142 to compare to, but it's quite sturdy.

Exactly. I'm sure the only way it would be called unsturdy is comparing to the 142, which, with screws, will obviously be a bit more sturdy. But it works perfectly fine and will probably never have a problem with it. No one would ever know the difference.

If I remember correctly, the people who said it was less sturdy than the 142 were members on here. It's not that it's unsturdy, it's just less sturdy than the 142, which is extremely sturdy. Sorry for any confusion with that :)

while i don't have personal experience with either the 142 or 182 series, it could be possible that the bad reviews on stability with the 182 are stemming from the customer not assembling it properly? that's my hunch.

That could be. It was fairly easy to put together, but I had to muscle a few pieces in with the help of a hammer to make sure everything was "clicked" together all the way. I do wonder why they changed it if it was more sturdy before. Most people have simple tools in their homes.

BTW... Here's my cage. I'm still waiting for a few things, but for now, this is it.

Top... the bridge actually sits in front of the bed, but for some reason it was in the wrong place when I took this...

6897016762_f11b390500_z.jpg

Bottom... the plastic hay rack is gone now. Just saying ;)

6897017814_08a7fe74c2_z.jpg

ETA: the water bottle is on the door, in case anyone is alarmed by it not being in the pics ;)

Last edited:
I just ordered my first Ferret Nation Cage! I am extremely excited! Its the 182 model, so hopefully its easy to put together :)

Daina I love the way you did the harry potter theme!! Thats a cage dream come true for your little bella and cissy <3 :) Very nice!

Now that my chincage is almost fully complete, here are some pics!
The smaller wire will go off in a week, so finally I can actually see inside the cage
Once it's off, a few smaller extra platforms will be attached, they are allready cut out and sanded

One last word of advice to the male chinkeepers here; never let your GF pick the fleece color. Or you end up like me, tough guy with 2 tough male chins hossing around on pink fleece

Lower half
In the picture you see a glass bowl with aubiose as toilet, 2 home made shelves and willow ball filled with timothy hay
b7e139.jpg

Upper half
Here you see 2 other home made shelves, a few home made chew toys (willow on a sisal rope/toilet paper roll with goodies and timothy inside)
213ll3m.jpg

Total picture
fmhn45.jpg

Nothing to do with the cage, I just like it when he scratches himself :p
ws0dv5.jpg

Last but not least; i once bought a paintingposter that says "Ceci n"est pas un lapin" or french for "this is not a bunny". Its a parody on a well known painting (ceci n'est pas une pipe by Margritte). I bought it ages before i even thought of getting the chins, and now its even more appropriate (it's above the FN cage)

21m7z3m.jpg

Haha Stormcrow I get a boy chin and his cage is pink and black :) hehe Susan from Azchins was like "Piiiink? but hes a boy!!" haha. It looks good trust me ;)

How many yards of fleece should I buy to make 2 double-layer fleece liners for the FN 141? Sorry this is a bit unrelated, but I figured you guys would know. :)

Back