Argh! Craigslist people!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

suzi1780

From craigslist -
"Hi...i am looking to adopt a single male chin...i have another chin that is lonely and needs companionship.... i cant drive..it would help a lot if someone that i can adopt the male chin could drive him to my house..i can only get to a certain place if i ride the metro...

also looking to get another cage and supplies...my house flooded and most of the chins toys and cage supplies got ruined...luckily the chin wasn't in her cage..i was visiting someone with the chinchilla the day the basement got flooded...now she has had to live in her carrier"

There are just so many things wrong with this post!! She wants to adopt a male chin because her female is lonely!? Right, she wants to breed. Her chin is living in a carrier? So she doesn't even have a cage for her current chin, but yet she wants another chin!? Please take care of your current chin first! And futhermore what kind of basement was this chin in? What kind of cage? How big was this flood? How did a cage get destroyed by a basement flood!? And I guess it was a good thing that she had her chin with her when the basement flooded, but why are people taking chins out to visit friends?! Sorry I just had to vent to some people who would understand my annonance

This has "I'm stupid" written all over it...no doubt someone will deliver a chin to her though...:banghead:

Ah, CL people. I do advertise my rescues on CL just to get it noticed that I do have some. They have to fill out an application, have a home visit, and sign a contract just like anyone going through Petfinder.com, but it's amazing the people who contact me through there. I wish I could remember a specific story. I have gotten so many hilarious emails, that I either choose to ignore, or respond back as nicely as I possibly can while telling them they are absolutely not getting a chinchilla from me.

UGH. This person keeps posting!! FEET really? *headdesk*

I got these little guys about 3 weeks ago from pretty bad situation. The person I got them from knew nothing about and they were in the tiniest dirty cage that she said they have not been out of in 3 weeks because she was afraid to touch them. I did a bit or research and have come to find out they are both boys around 5-8 years old (guessing by their feet, one of the only ways to figure out how old a chinchilla is) and I named them Harry and Oliver. For the situation they came from they have an awesome temperament.
I would love to keep them but with my dogs it is way too risky, one already escaped while feeding them and it almost ended badly. The funny thing is I have to worry more about my Chihuahua than my Pit. All the Chihuahua wants to do is bark and nip at them through the cage especially when I give them attention. Harry and Oliver are not scared of the dogs in the slightest so if you do have a pup that would be good with them you won’t have a problem on their end. For only being handled for a couple of weeks they are pretty comfortable with me, if I sit on the floor they will jump right on my lap looking for treats and sometimes just sit there if they are not busy exploring. They really are awesome little animals and I do wish I could keep them, but a new home will be safer for them in the long run.
They only came with the cage they were in, a food bowl, water bottle and a chewed up dust bath house. I got them an awesome 3 level cage that has wheels and must be around 4ft tall. I also purchased a running wheel, hay holder another dust bath house and some wooden chew logs along with the essentials like hay pellets and chinchilla treats
I am asking for a re-homing fee to cover some of the cost of the supplies I purchased. $175

i have seen some posts from people who actually do care about their chins and require pre-screening and yet SO, SO many others that are seriously not right. it makes me ill to read them so i usually dont. but i was recently looking for a FN and had to search.....it makes me want to buy 10 FN's and save them all! but i know in a month i would have to buy 10 more because of the idiots on there.
i do have to say though that for supplies, CL is an excellant resource.

I think craigslist is great for lots of stuff, I have found an apartment, sold stuff etc on there but the pet section just makes me sick. There are always people on there rehoming a dog that they have had for 10 years because "we are expecting a baby" that stuff just really upsets me! You have a pet for 10 years and it is too much to take care of with a baby!?

The person with the chin is now posting this -

"Hello I'm am looking for a male chin to adopt, I will take the male's cage mate if the male wont separate...I'm also looking for a cage, toys and food...

I can't drive, but i will offer $40 gas plus a reasonable adoption fee money.. if you drive the chin and the cage with its toys and food to my house..."

Funny thing is, I wrote a response, nothing too mean and I got flagged off! But her ads are still there! There are people that police the pet section like crazy and I guess they believe they are doing the right thing by flagging me. I agree with some of their flags, like people selling puppies etc but the flaggers go waaaaay too far. There is always some fight on there, a few months ago the flaggers were at war with anyone posting about pet sitting. They flagged anyone listing their services saying the ads don't belong there.... umm it's a pet section! People who own pets go there, why not let people post about pet sitting services? Who the heck cares? And don't dare list a cage or supplies for sale there, those will get flagged in ten mins!

I too have found some great stuff on craigslist. I have also listed a few "pet" chinchillas on there and have screened potential owners. I can honestly say that the chins have found awesome homes...other people I just turn right away when I start talking to them on email. I still get owners calling me or emailing me with questions....and it has also opened the door for other owners that are looking for a pet that don't want to go the pet store route. The people who have adopted from me are referring others to me.

I have viewed other ads from people who have chins--and yikes. I feel really bad for those animals. I don't know how they ever get adopted the way they look and for the price people ask. I think I saw an ad 2 months ago for 2 chins with a small cage (maybe 1 tier) for $400.

I have adopted a cat off from craigslist. He's been the best cat we have had for the kids.

I'm lucky if I can sell anything with the Happy Flaggers on CL.

the people on our areas pet section really need to get a life, if they are so worried about helping animals, they should spend their time volunteering with a rescue etc instead of policing craigslist! I don't understand what the big deal is if someone post a used cage for sale there, I can understand why they do instead of posting it in the general for sale section... they want to post their item in a section where pet owners are likey to see it. Is a kitten not going to get rehomed because there is also an ad for a hamster cage in the pet section? The flaggers seem to think so!

she said they have not been out of in 3 weeks because she was afraid to touch them
I got Doesha from a woman on CL like that, her son left him with his mom. She was a very nice lady who cared about him but didn't know how to care for him. Most pressing was the hotter than blazes mobile home he was living in. I guess I can understand how someone could be afraid of a chinny.

I have adopted 3 chins off CL, and only 1 of them has been in good shape. I also see an add in my area every couple months for a chinchilla rescue where they stress that all their chins have soft TOV fur. She shows pictures of standards that she swears have the TOV gene... I often wonder about what other wrong info she has?

I've given up looking at my CL unless looking for a cage or something. I've only gotten one animal off there, Smokie, and while she was in great condition, and her owner really wanted her to go to a good home and made sure she did, she was still on junk food/treats.

I got my chin off CL, but it was from a breeder (Godin'sChinchillas) and I couldnt be happier. I guess it all depends on who posts for me.

Linda, I saw that same ad. There was another that had just one mosaic and they claimed that it was a "rare mosaic with blue coloring". It was just a white. Sometimes, I feel like contacting people like them and setting them straight, but, I would end up spending my entire day doing so.

I saw a posting by one guy selling a chinchilla on CL and he said something to the effect that he couldn't tell what sex his chin was because "their reproductive organs are on the inside". Most people selling chins on CL, in my experience, don't know much about them at all.

Back