I'm splitting my QC

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittney

So as you all know, I have had to split up my bonded pair due to Ande hitting puberty and becoming a jerk.

Well this morning around 6am I heard Charlie kacking up a storm and barking. I was like well this is weird, but I figured he was getting into some kind of argument with Bryson through the cages and I went back to sleep. It continued for a while then I felt a thud on my pillow. That startled me. I used my phone as a light and I looked to the right, nothing there, looked to the left, and Ande was staring right at me. I jumped up and grabbed him wondering how he got out of the temporary cage I had him in. I looked and I found a huge hole chewed out of the side. He must have been working on it over time, because there is no way he could have chewed through that thick of plastic in the 6 hours since I had last checked on him. I stuffed a shirt into the hole and ran out with $300 to all of the surrounding PetsMarts, which isn't many and sat in the car until they opened. I asked if they carried the FN and they said no, but they could order it for me, but it wouldn't be there for another week. Well, I needed something now so I went back home.

My grandparents are in town, which means I get a discount at Home Depot since my grandad is a Master Kitchen and Bath Designer and does seminars there. We got a ton of pine and we have split the cage in half vertically so the boys can both be high or low and feel more secure and I can use the same bottom pan. It looks really nice so far. I was worried that there wouldn't be enough room splitting it that way, but there is plenty of room and it looks nice. I have enough wood that Mr. Charlie is getting a new setup as well. Only downside is, I can't slide out the bottom tray anymore and I need another door. Oh well.

I will get pictures as soon as I finish!

Last edited:
Here it is. I was going to get pictures of Bryson's side, but the camera died. Oh well.

Attachments

• DSC05472.jpg
    DSC05472.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 137
  • DSC05473.jpg
    DSC05473.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 90
Yeah. I can reach the back and the bottom and access the top. But my boys usually run to the door when I open it, so catching them is easy.

Great job! I love the QC mansions. I will keep this in mind if I have to split one. Beats buying a pan and cutting the cage.

Latest posts

Back