Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Health & Hygiene
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Health & Hygiene Anything to do with the health or hygiene of a chinchilla - post it here!

Old 07-22-2017, 10:21 PM Canada

Default Sudden eye problem?

While I wasn't home my chinchilla gave birth, I didn't know she was pregnant.. but she had a health baby. Some conflict must have happened, however, as her eye was completely swollen! I used a warm cloth and drained some pus from her eyelids. Her eye has slowly been getting better, and now that she can see out of it it appears enlarged. She's eating and drinking and taking great care of the baby, but I'm frightened her eye could be deadly. She can close it, and I've been putting eye drops in her eye to rinse it (doesnt have antibiotics in it) - I know she can see out of it too.

But, can she be on antibiotics while she's nursing?

I don't have a good chinchilla vet in my town, if I get a checkup and specifically ask for a product they will give it to me (as they have only even seen MY chins before) What should I give her?
Old 07-23-2017, 12:37 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

She can be on trimethoprim sulfa when nursing - it doesn't affect the kits. I've been told it can make a chin decrease their drinking, but I've never had that experience. With eye issues, providing it's just an infection and not a tooth issue, I have the best luck with the oral sulfa and Tobramycin drops. Try not to get the ointment unless you absolutely have to. It's nasty and makes a mess. The vet should check for teeth issues and for corneal abrasions.