Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin New Owner Questions
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin New Owner Questions If you are a new chin owner, this is the forum for you!

Old 05-02-2017, 11:23 AM United States

And yet another question. Our new apartment will have carpet. I know you mentioned that one should be careful with fleece that they don't pull threads and also that they chew, a lot. But will carpet be a big problem during their free-running time?
Old 05-02-2017, 12:08 PM United States
Super Moderator

Chinchillas: 2

I put a lot of stuff out for them to chew at playtime and have never had them try to chew the flooring. They are generally far more interested in the walls and baseboards if they can reach them.
Old 05-02-2017, 12:47 PM United States

Chinchillas: 6

hair rings really are the only difference i can think of at the moment. Some are more prone to them then others. Of my three males in the last 10~ years, they have never got them that i know of.

Carpet will depend on the chin. They might, they might not. Its worse if its a poorly installed carpet tho (like i have atm). Its very loose and kind of comes up in certain areas. That only encourages mine to try and pull it up some times.

I will add tho that carpet is a massive pain in the *** to clean with chins compared to something smooth like linoleum or wooden floors or what not. I moved from a smooth floor to a poor carpet, and i hate it in the chin room. Something smooth you can take a broom and sweep it up and be done in 2-3 min. And you can do it daily and its no big deal. But with my carpet that likes to come up a bit as i mentioned, im stuck using a shopvac hose and going over the entire floor. Cant even use attachments because it tried to suck the carpet in. I hate it. And usually only clean the floor when i change the cages. - Also worth noting that if you have to use a vacuum then you need something with a hose at least 2.5" wide. Anything smaller and they hay and other mess will clog the machine up. So standard vacuums are not really a good option either. Hence why i bought a shop vac.

So carpet is not a make or break thing. But for me it is a massive irritant. If one has the option, i recommend a smooth floor.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:10 PM Canada

The biggest difference between males and females is females can spray pee as a defense, about 5 feet with accuracy, some males can spray but most just kinda dribble lol. Just don't make the chin angry and you should be fine. Also as mentioned males can get hair rings, but it's more common in breeding males and most take care of it themselves, and seem to, umm... enjoy themselves.

One way of dealing with carpet is to put a sheet down on the floor. It really depends on the carpet, some are tight weave, others are fuzzy, the fuzzy type tends to be more of an issue. I don't have any carpeting anymore, but I do have crappy wood floor in parts of the house, so I got sheets to put under the play pen. That way if I decide to use it somewhere else in the house the chins can't get to the floor and the sheet is too flat and smooth for them to really care about. When done clean up is very easy too, just fold the sheet up poops and all and shake out outside.

Oh and I second the need for a shop vac, I had forgotten about that. I tried for years to just use a regular vacuum and it was a pain. If you use a regular one you have to constantly clean out the clogged hose and/or pick up the hay and sticks by hand before vacuuming.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
1 Horse: Blazer
Old 05-13-2017, 06:56 PM United States

The two males are still at the shelter and I feel soooo sorry for them They have big (two-storay) cages, each, but because it's a shelter, they don't get any play-time (as far as I know - and if, not much). They seem to be a little shy and one of the staff (who had had a chin in the past) said the probably weren't socialized. Poor things.

One month till we're moving and even then I would need to settle in first and re-consider circumstances. Oh and of course, actually ask the landlord (we're only approved for three cats, atm) No chance in taking them now, with a 1BR-cottage with three cats in a high-humidity area.

I wonder, if I end up saving one/them, whether or not to take them both and try to socialize them. They seem to be older, about 2 or maybe 3? Both males (not sure whether or not they're neutered, the original bit on that disappeared from the shelter's website, so probably not). I mean, if it didn't work out I could close the two story and have one for each? It does seem like a small space, though (yes, I know, it all comes down to out-of-the-cage playtime, but still, especially since they're used to so much space, now)

Really just thinking out loud, again, but I feel so bad for them and they sure are **** cute.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 PM Canada

It really is better for them to not have playtime if there is no safe place for it, and if they have big cages then really they don't need playtime. You could kind of think if it like kids don't need to go outside (aside from getting fresh air) if they have room to run and play inside. Keep in mind too that there are a lot of large scale breeders out there that their chins never get playtime and they live in single cages.

2 or 3 is still really young (though there is no real way to tell age (unless you know their birthday) once they stop growing at a year or two), remember they can live +/- 20 years. Each chin is also different, so it's hard to tell if they have been socialized or not, I've had very social chins, and very nervous and shy ones, and they all got the same care. Some chins are just naturally more outgoing, others are naturally more shy. You can get a chin as a kit, and hold and play with her everyday and still end up with a moody brat (I have a specific chin from my past in mind there, lol).
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze
1 Horse: Blazer
Old 06-08-2017, 08:32 AM United Kingdom

Hey! There isn't too much of a different between male and female chin cares however yes, males can indeed get fur rings. There's no other way to describe it other than be graphic so sorry in advance! Basically it's where their fur gets wrapped around their phallus and can be very uncomfortable for them! (which is understandable). It doesn't happen often but it can happen, and its go to know how to get rid of them and the signs of one. It can cause your chinchilla's mood to go off and sometimes they won't eat because of it. What you need to do is first get someone to help you and put a towel around its head/body. Then roll down it's foreskin and pull the phallus out - you'll see the fur ring and CAREFULLY with a pair of nail scissors cut it free. Males are good at grooming themselves so it shouldn't be happening all too much but it is important to get rid of fur rings asap as it can cut circulation etc. Females can also spray urine, but that's mainly the difference between female and chinchilla care.
Old 07-19-2017, 09:36 PM United States

Dear God, this thread is really informative and comprehensive. I took my time to read every feedback regarding the author's inquiry.