Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Emergencies
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Emergencies Guidance given in this forum does not substitute for PROPER VET CARE.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:54 PM United States

Exclamation Potential URI?

Last week I noticed one of my chinchillas had a watery eye, so I took him to the vet. She said everything was fine, she even let us look at his teeth by using a device with a camera, and they were good indicating no teeth problem.
She said to withhold the dust bath for a few days and to try a different type of dust.

That was three days ago, however his eye has not gotten better at all, if not worse. I also noticed he has been sneezing, like once every 5-10 minutes I want to say. There isnít any discharge coming out of his nose but he seems to wipe it a lot. His breathing is also a little wheezy. I am wondering if this is a possible URI? I am planning on making another vet appointment soon, but I am at my wits end...
Old 07-09-2018, 10:47 PM Canada

Chinchillas: 2

So they only did a look inside the mouth they didn't do x-rays? Without x-rays you can't be sure it's not a tooth problem because you can't see the roots. With chinchillas the roots and crown (the part of the tooth you can see) of the tooth grow. If the roots have grown into the skull that could cause the problems you are seeing.

If you do suspect URI though I would get him back to the vet as soon as you can. Chins can die within hours from URI, maybe try a different vet if you need to? Runny eyes is one thing, the vet probably though it was just eye irritation, but if he is now also sneezing and wheezy that is a very bad sign.
3 Dogs: Bear, Loki, and Blaze