Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Breeding & Babies > Chin Breeding Horror Stories/Pictures
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Breeding Horror Stories/Pictures NOTICE: This section contains extremely graphic stories and pictures. ENTER AT OWN RISK.

Old 04-05-2010, 10:31 PM United States
Chin Slave

Chinchillas: 8

it is because of you and mako's story that i decided to keep richie & stitch separate last year and because of all the other stories i have read that i separated snickers & oreo recently.
yeah i have to clean 4 cages instead of 2 but my chins are alive & happy.
i am sorry you have lost your babies in the past, but thank you for posting your stories about them..........i am sure you have saved many others.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:59 PM Singapore
Full-Time Chinnies Parent

Chinchillas: 4

Oh.. I'm so sorry to hear that. It must be hard on you. Thanks for sharing and I'm so sorry for your lost. *hugs*
Old 04-05-2010, 11:05 PM United States
I bite.

Chinchillas: 8

Thank you everyone. It's been over a year now that I lost Mako, but I still miss him very much and I can only hope his story can potentially save other chinnies & raise awareness of what they can actually do to one another.

I also lost two others to a fight, Kuma and Felix. Even thinking a mere seconds about my lost chins brings pain and "what if's", even though I have questioned myself hundreds of times and been told every time that there was nothing I could do.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:33 AM United States
I like dinosaurs :3

I'm so sorry to read this story.
His wounds to his head and back look disturbingly like Orson's fatal wounds. They really can turn on one another in the blink of an eye--Mork and Orson's fight had to have taken place in an hour and a half, between 8:30pm and 10pm. My biggest consolations are that Orson was with me when he passed, and also that he can't have suffered long at all, because it was all over so quickly.
I know you loved Mako from what I've read, and after reading the bit about keeping a closer eye on them, I want to say that hopefully you don't blame yourself for not keeping 'close enough' of an eye on them--it sounds like it happened when you were sleeping, and while it is heart breaking, it is not your fault.
In my case, however, I hadn't separated Mork and Orson well enough, and Orson chewed into Mork's half of the cage. But that's a different story.
Anyway, I'm sorry if this post seems out of place or something, but it really reminded me of Orson, and I guess I just wanted to tell my story too, in case anyone else is reading this and still isn't sure about how to cage their chins.
Feel better, Stacie and Cathy.

P.S. Also, according to the SPCA, Mork and Orson were brothers.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 PM United States
PM for pet portraits <3

oh I remember when this happened...it was and still is so very very sad.

Hopefully pics and stories like these will discourage inexperienced chin owners from rushing into situations. You did things the right way and they still turned out poorly...

rip
The Roots of Violence: Wealth without work, Pleasure without conscience, Knowledge without character, Commerce without morality, Science without humanity, Worship without sacrifice, Politics without principles
Old 09-28-2010, 12:10 AM United States
Christina

Chinchillas: 2

When I got my breeding pair from my boyfriends grandma, I had already had one that she had previously given to me, even though that they had grown up together and were father and son. Dale (the son) bit the snot out of Rex's (the dad's) nose and Rex had bitten Dales behind and there were bite marks and hair loss, I knew I immediately needed to find a new home for Dale, I ended up giving him to my dad and family along with a baby I had weaned recently. I guess I never really realized what could have happened until this post and because of this I'm so glad that I did what I did, because I would have been devastated. I'm so sorry for your lost, but this post helped me out a lot on what to look for right away and to be super careful.
Old 06-22-2013, 04:26 PM United States

I have 2 chins, bug and kity, (my grandson named them). they have been cage mates for over a year and here lately they have been getting a little testy with each other, is this common? can it be looked at like 2 room mates just getting on each others nerves every now and then or this something i should be more concerned with?
Old 09-25-2015, 03:11 AM South Africa
Chin mom for 6 Years

Oh No Stacie, that is such a horrible thing to go through, for you and for the chins.

I have recently just put my two females (mother and daughter) back together as i separated them a few months back. I was fearing the worst (a situation just like yours) but thankfully they are okay. They did have a good few tiffs and fur flying around for a day, but now they are okay. They sleep in a cage next to our room so if they make the slightest squeak, i can hear it as i dont shut the doors at night time and i keep a close watch on them. i even wake up during the night to check on them, like a mother would to her new born baby.

But Stacie, do you have any other advice for me? id like to make sure i can eliminate as many possibilities.
Prior to them being put back into they cage, i cleaned it out from top to bottom and made sure that new bedding and hammocks where placed in the cage and set it up differently so there was no 'territorial' grounds.

Rip Mako (you were such a beautiful chinchilla)
My heart goes out to you Stacie xxx
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 PM United States

I feel really sad reading this thread.