Chins & Hedgies

It is Central Time
Go Back   Chins & Hedgies > Chin Forums > Chin Chat
Register Chat FAQ Shop Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Chin Chat Post pictures or stories of your chin's antics here!

Old 02-19-2016, 11:09 AM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 4
Default Why hello!

Hi there! I've just joined the forum, but I've been lurking for a while. It started after I googled probably the strangest thing I ever will- "Can Chinchillas have nightmares?"!

And the reason for googling this is because we own two male chins, occasionally one of them will start barking in his sleep!
The reason I thought of nightmares is because they will be laid separately, asleep, and one will just start barking!

Anyway, after googling I found out they can have nightmares- According to people on this forum anyway.

So, a bit of an intro... Well, TBH with you all- I took over the care of my fiancé's chinchillas because he wasn't entirely caring for them.

Unfortunately due to space limitations they aren't in the biggest cage currently as we were forced to move into a small 1-bed flat. Don't get me wrong, it's not *tiny*. It's just not what would be classed as big enough for a pair. However, I have plans to fix this when we move into a bigger place which shouldn't be long at all.
They have a large 8 sided run which gets set up daily for them to stretch out in as well, which usually means my living room is taken over by chinchilla stuff!
The boys we own are a standard grey called Nibbler and a Black Velvet called Shadow.
Nicknamed Nib Nib and Snubby(he has a snubby nose).

Nibbler is around about 5 years old now, he was bred by my fiancé himself.
Snubby was bought as a pair of male from the dreaded Pets At Home... This is because Nibbler used to live with his dad, Chip. Chip sadly passed away leaving Nibbler pining badly. He wouldn't eat properly, wouldn't move, just sat in a corner crying most of the time. This went on for two or so weeks before we decided to get him some more companions. The three males got on perfectly for about 5 months, but that didn't last. Nibbler and Shadow started bullying Midnight(the other male) quite badly and they had to be separated.

Anyway, here's some pictures!
This is the large run that I set up for them daily.

And the boys themselves- During dust baths xD
Shadow- AKA Snubby. The Black Velvet.

Nibbler- AKA Nib Nib. The Standard Grey.

And back in their normal colours.
About to be cleaned out, Snubby's ready!

Nibbler happily chomping away.
Old 02-19-2016, 08:19 PM United States
Administrator/Owner

Chinchillas: 300'

Welcome! Your furkids look very spoiled.

Old 02-20-2016, 06:47 AM United Kingdom
Chin Mum & Fluffslave!

Chinchillas: 15

Hi, and welcome to the forum. Your chins are beautiful. We have seventeen, all boys, and they are quite a handful. I've had falling out issues with a couple of mine recently, which has led to a permanent separation, and the successful introduction of new cage mates.

If there are no chinchillas in Heaven, then,when I die, I want to go where they are!
Old 02-20-2016, 08:15 AM United States
New Yet Fomer Member

Chinchillas: 2

I am a new yet old member. I have a beige violet boy and a mosaic girl - separate 5' cages - non-breeding, yet both with pedigree. I have had them since the age of 8 weeks - they are now both almost 9 years old. I LOVE MY LITTLE FUZZ BUTTS!!!! My male, Magma, does seem to have nightmares, or at least active dreams where he moves and talks, but my girly girl has never had such. Strange. They are definitely spoiled and have never experienced any type of trauma. So...all should be well. It may scare you a little, but no worries. My babies could not be healthier!!! Of course, no excessive treating...especially sweet treating...and Oxbow food with plenty of white pine wood shelving and various types of safe sticks for them to chew on. I will post pictures soon. GLAD TO BE BACK! If it were not for this place, I would have never found my babies. I had a third chinchilla which I rescued at age 4. They had done a terrible job in raising her. She crossed the rainbow bridge at the age of 6 after having developed mallow from lack of things to chew on and Charlie Chinchilla food during the first 4 years of her life. R.I.P. Chile Chilla...always in my heart. Have a nice weekend, everyone. ~Lori
Old 02-27-2016, 10:30 PM Canada
Chin-sational

Chinchillas: 1

Welcome!! What a cute pair and they look very well cared for!

Elijah the Chinchilla
3 Year old Standard Gray
Loved & Spoiled since 11.14.14

Old 03-07-2016, 04:21 PM United Kingdom

Chinchillas: 4

I'm so sorry I've not responded! My laptop has had issues accessing forums of all sorts for a while... Thank you everyone for the warm welcome
Old 04-12-2016, 10:52 AM United States

Chinchillas: 2

Welcome, what adorable chins!